Heads up foodies: Chefs Jaime and Ramiro will be flaunting their flautas at the food court in Baldwin Hills Crenshaw . Just in case you’re unfamiliar, flautas are large Mexican rolled tacos topped with sauces, salas and moles, that are traditional in the chefs’ native Jalisco, Mexico.
“Flauta means ‘flute’ in Spanish, which is fitting because of their long, thin shape,” says Ramiro. “But we also like to think of them as music for your palate—a magnificent symphony of flavors.” “You don’t encounter flautas very often in Los Angeles,” adds Jaime. “Ramiro and I have such fond memories of cooking and eating them while growing up in Jalisco, and we wanted to share that experience with guests who visit our restaurants today.”
The chefs will run a stall devoted to flautas, which can be ordered with a variety of fillings and toppings such as: :
- ·Mercado Style filled with chicken, Mexican crema, spicy tomatillo sauce, and topped with cotija cheese
- Potato and Homemade Chorizo topped with tomato, onion, guajillo chile, cheese, and chile de árbol sauce
- Poblano Chile and Cheese filled with potato, Mexican crema, and spicy green tomatillo sauce
- Beef or Pork Picadillo with tomato, onion, garlic, oregano
- Shrimp with tomato, onion, cilantro, jalapeño, topped with roasted tomatillo sauce
- Chicken topped with Jaime and Ramiro’s legendary Green Mole or Mole Poblano
- Cochinita Pibil filled with roasted pork shoulder meat marinated with achiote bitter orange juice and spices
- Fish Flautas filled with tomato, onion, cilantro and a touch of chipotle chile, topped with roasted tomatillo sauce
- Beans Flautas topped with a lightly spicy red chile de arbol sauce, sprinkled with fresh Mexican cheese
To wash down the flautas, the stall will offer a selection of Aguas Frescas and Jaime and Ramiro’s signature Lemonade with Chia Seeds.
Flautas will be located at inside the food court at Baldwin Hills Crenshaw, adjacent to Mexicano, at 3650 W. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90008.
Jaime and Ramiro are known for cooking bold and traditional Mexican food together at La Casita Mexicana restaurant in Bell, CA. They won a nomination for Best Chef: Pacific from the James Beard Foundation in 2008 along with several certificates of recognition from the Los Angeles Board of Supervisors and from the Los Angeles Board of Education for their civic work and contributions.