Whether it be for a breakfast with a hot cup of coffee or tea; a quick snack to add more energy to your day or simply an indulgence because, dammit, you deserve it, these scones by Chef Larry Edwards are sure to bring a holiday smile to your lips!
Ingredients needed to make Date Almond Scones with Kahlua Cream (makes 8 scones):
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup butter, chilled and diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup chopped dates (please remove the pits or make a dental appointment)
- 1/3 cup chopped almonds
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees. Line the bottom of a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add the butter and using a pastry blender (or your fingertips) cut the butter into the flour until it resembles a coarse meal.
- In a small bowl whisk together the egg and cream. Stir this mixture into the flour to form a dough. Stir in the dates and almonds.
- Remove the dough to a floured surface and knead until it all comes together, about 5 minutes.
- Pat the dough into a 7-inch disk and then cut it into 8 wedges.
- Place the wedges onto the prepared baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Bake 20 minutes and then remove from the oven and cool the scones on a rack (they must be completely cooled to apply the Kahlua Cream).
Ingredients needed to make the Kahlua Cream:
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- Add all the ingredients into a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Dip the cooled scones into the Kahlua Cream and place back on the rack until the Kahlua Cream had set (hardened).
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in its third printing and available worldwide, including the official website for Downton Abbey!