One of the great joys of holiday baking is the aroma of freshly baked goods which wafts through your humble abode. This classic Christmas cookie (with a healthy dose of freshly grated ginger), is the epitome of not just a Christmas cookie. but of the scents of the season as well.
These are a very simple cookie to prepare and also make for a wonderful food gift when presented in a colorful holiday tin. Just make sure you keep them in an air-tight container to retain their perfect texture.
Ingredients needed to make Classic Molasses Ginger Christmas Cookies (serving amount depends on size):
- 3/4 cup shortening (do not use butter)
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- heavy cream for dipping
- sugar for coating
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon sheet.
- Into a mixer with the paddle attachment, add the shortening and brown sugar and beat 4 minutes.
- Add the molasses, egg and ginger and beat 4 minutes.
- Into a medium bowl, add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and whisk to combine.
- Add the flour mixture into the mixer and beat until a dough forms.
- Roll pieces of the dough into a ball.
- Dip each ball into the heavy cream and then coat with sugar.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Place into the oven and bake 10 minutes (depending on size).
- Remove from the oven and let cool on the pan 5 minutes.
- Remove to a rack to cool.
Looking for the perfect Christmas gift for the cook on your list? The internationally bestselling cookbook, Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," by Chef Larry Edwards is now in its third printing and available worldwide.