There may not be a more alcohol influenced holiday than Christmas. There is just something about ho-ho-ho'ing while enjoying some adult distilled liquid. Of course the fact it also calms your nerves and stress helps too.
These cookies (actually bon bons) do not need baking but... to achieve their maximum effect, you do want to prepare them a few days before you are going to serve them. Don't worry about them going bad as there is enough alcohol in them to keep them good. Store them in an air-tight container and they will keep their soft texture.
Ingredients to make Bourbon Bon Bons:
- 1 box vanilla wafers
- 1 12-oz. bag shelled walnut
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs. corn syrup
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- Place the vanilla wafer cookies into a food processor and process until very fine. Remove to a bowl
- Place the walnuts into the food processor and process until very fine. Add them to the vanilla wafers.
- Into the bowl stir in the powdered sugar, corn syrup and bourbon. Cover the bowl and chill about 2 hours.
- Remove teaspoon size portions and roll into a ball. Dust the balls (bon bon's) with powdered sugar. Place the dusted bon bon's on a platter and let chill about 90 minutes.
- Place the Bourbon Bon Bon's into an air-tight container until ready to eat.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards, "Edwardian Cooking: 80 Recipes Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals," is now in its third printing and available worldwide, including the official website for Downton Abbey!