May 24, 2011
The 33rd Freihofer's Run for Women is less than two weeks away. Supplement your 5K training by following these tips designed to help you run well on June 4th.
Prior to race day:
- Preview the course so you'll know what to expect on race day.
- Finish your training cycle with a week-long taper, reducing your total mileage and giving yourself full rest the day (or two) before the race.
- Be sure to hydrate and eat well during the days leading up to the race.
- Stay off your feet as much as possible on Friday.
- Lay out your race day outfit the day before the race.
- If you plan to use a sports watch or a GPS device such as a Garmin Forerunner, charge the battery on Friday.
- Pick up your packet and t-shirt at the expo on Friday, rather than day of race.
- Eat a light breakfast -- that you know your body can tolerate -- two hours before the start of the race. Be sure to drink water or a sports drink ahead of time, too.
- Arrive early. With 4000 runners expected for the Freihofer's Run for Women, plus many more people gathering for the Community Walk and the races for children, downtown Albany will be packed on race day. Plan to arrive well ahead of the start time.
- Be aware of road closures so you don't get stuck.
- Use the porta-potties early.
- Run a quick warm-up of a half mile approximately 20-30 minutes before the start of the race.
- Stretch after you've warmed up.
- Line up according to your predicted finish time.
- Run strong and have fun!