Learning the alphabet is an essential pre-reading step that many school systems require children to master before starting Kindergarten. There are many things that parents can do to help their children learn their ABC's at home.
Here are a few tips for learning the ABC's:
- Make food letters. This is one time you'll want to encourage the kids to play with their food!
- Play with alphabet blocks and magnetic fridge letters.
- Use face paint crayons to write a daily letter on the child's hand and encourage the child to match the letter up with signs that you find on your travels.
- Read ABC books together. (Look for books that have short entries and colorful illustrations. Some alphabet books are downright boring.)
- Sing alphabet songs with each other.