Whether you’re hosting guests for an evening or an extended weekend, in Manhattan you’ve got special challenges. Almost all Manhattanites live in savagely small apartments and the city is ever-busy, sometimes making navigation a difficult thing. Follow these helpful tips for having company over in Manhattan!
- Some guests will drive to your home, but in the city most people instead rely on public transportation and taxis. Finding a street parking space in Manhattan is often frustrating and time-consuming. Parking garages are almost always a better choice. When inviting your guests, share your best neighborhood garage picks. It will cost more in cash, but save everyone time and foot fatigue.
- For those who prefer to travel in a car, just not their own, Manhattan is famous worldwide for its taxis. Hired cars are also common. If your guests are from out of town and traveling from a hotel or an airport, first check for free shuttles, and if not available make use of the ubiquitous black Lincoln sedans. Be a lamb and arrange it for them.
- Manhattan is also known for its very large and efficient subway system. Be sure to inform guests of the nearest subway stations to your home, and it cannot hurt to know the most popular routes.
Setting the Stage:
If you can manage to skip a family style sit-down dinner, go for a buffet setting with plenty of seating.
You can create several buffets to keep the crowd flowing and avoid congestion. Buffets for sweet and savory foods, and another for beverages and barware, can be great to motivate guests to move around and visit with other guests.
Stick with finger foods to avoid lap-dining with a knife and fork.
- If a sit-down dinner is unavoidable, many hosts in Manhattan are faced with a paucity of dining room type furniture. It is just not that common in the city. A lovely tablecloth and place settings over a row of folding card tables will do the trick.
- Portable tables and folding chairs are easy to rent, have delivered, and picked up afterwards.
- You can rent dinnerware too, but try the nicer lines of disposable dishware and avoid post-party cleanup!
Extending the Party
If you have invited your guests to stay for a while, there are a few things to do so everyone will fit in together and not feel piled up on top of each other.
- Encourage guests to bring only clothing, medications, and the charger to their phone. After all, you live here so you've got everything needed to live here. Remember, there is, quite literally, nothing that is not for sale in Manhattan.
- Plan some relaxing outings in between exciting ventures. This will create some down time outside of your over-full home.