Fusing local ingredients with international dishes can often leave you with a new and delicious dish. This blend Filipino smoked fish or tinapa with herbed tomato sauce and pasta is on such dish. You can make your own favorite tomato based pasta sauce recipe, or simply buy a pre-made sauce to speed up the preparation of this dish.
This dish is not hard to prepare but removing the bones and skin from the smoked fish does take a bit of time and effort. You need to make sure to thoroughly pick through the meat of the fish to make sure there are absolutely no bones at all left in the fish as you will be mixing all the ingredients together before serving this dish. It is well worth the little bit of extra work for a super tasty final dish.
- 4-5 pieces of smoked fish (tinapa) with bones and skin removed, shredded
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 small can of mushrooms drained (optional)
- 2 200 gram packages of your favorite tomato based pasta sauce or 400 grams of your own homemade sauce
- 1/4 kilogram of your favorite pasta noodles
- Oil for sautéing onion and garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta per package directions and drain, toss with oil to keep pasta from sticking together
- While pasta is cooking place pasta sauce in sauce pan on low heat.
- In a small sauté pan, sauté onion and garlic in a small amount of oil until onion is translucent and garlic is fragrant but not brown.
- Place onions, garlic, shredded fish, mushrooms (optional), salt and pepper in sauce and mix well.
- Toss pasta together with sauce.
- Serve with garlic bread or breadsticks and enjoy.
This dish is full of flavor and the smoky fish and tomato sauce blend for a unique and delicious flavor that will make you crave this dish again. Treat your friends and family to this wonderful fusion dish that is simple to make. This is one dish that many of you will truly enjoy. So what are you waiting for, kain na tayo (Let's eat!)