With 24+ inches of snow on the ground (and more to come) and only so far one can plod along on a home treadmill without losing sanity, endurance athletes can't do much today except gaze out the window or plan their next run, bike or swim.
Many area triathlons are scheduled for this spring, so instead of indulging in frustration, plot out your tri training schedule.
It can be challening to find an indoor pool in which to train for the swimming portion of a triathlon, so here are some choices for local pools.
- Meadowbrook (Mount Washington). Home to the North Baltimore Aquatic Club and Michael Phelp's home training venue, this facility boasts an indoor pool 50 meters long and 6 lanes wide. In addition to mulitple training and therapy pools, Meadowbrook has additional equipment such as treadmills and stationary bikes; they also offer stroke clinics. Winter membership rates (roughly $450 for an individual) are available by calling (410) 433-8300 and are pro-rated if membership starts in the middle of the season.
- Brick Bodies has indoor pools at its facilities downtown (Charles and Fayette), Green Spring Station, Perry Hall, and Reisterstown. Also equipped with a full array of cardio equipment, membership at one club is about $40 per month. Personal training and swim lessons are available.
- MAC (Maryland Athletic Club - Timonium and Harbor East). The "MAC" is a full service gym with inoor pools at 2 locations, both of which offer 25 meter pools and a full array of lessons and aquatics programs. Individual rates begin around $50 per month. Call 443.798.3579 for details.
- Merritt Athletic Club's downtown and Towson locations have indoor pools. Offering a swim club and personal training as well as other aquatic activities, Merritt's numerous locations offer lots of possibilities.
- YMCA Perhaps the best value, the Y offers individual and family memberships which allow use of the indoor pools, located in Towson, Dundalk and Reisterstown.
Many pools offer not only time for swimming laps, but personal training and stroke clinics to help fine tune your stroke or strategy. Start your training!