July 4, aka Independence Day is just around the corner. For most of us, that means picnics, a break from work, time with family and friends, fireworks and a definite infusion of summer heat. This is also an opportunity to acknowledge what the day stands for as well as a time to do some good deeds.
Most of us would probably agree that voting is one of our most important freedoms yet the turnout for most elections is dismal at best. Some people rationalize that their votes won’t make a difference, but if you don’t vote, then you have missed a responsibility and a right to make things better. So, with that in mind, begin organizing a voting carpool for the next election. It’s easy.
Ask your neighbors or any friends who may have difficulty getting to the polls to go with you to vote in the next election. And, even ask those who have no difficulty. A little reminder with expectation helps to ensure that an action will be taken. For those who cannot go to the polls, there is advanced voting and voting by mail.
And don’t forget to thank the many servicemen and women who make sacrifices to ensure that you can continue the freedoms you now enjoy. If you can do a kind gesture for one or more of these individuals, this is the perfect time to do so.
Now to the fun. It’s hot so help those who cannot find relief from the heat.
- There are many brands of cooling towels available at places like Home Depot, Target, Bed, Bath & Beyond, or Walmart. The cost is usually less than $10 to under $20 and they really do work. You can even order them off eBay at http://www.ebay.com and Amazon at http://www.Amazon. com
- Personal mister fans are also beneficial, but don’t forget the batteries
- Squirt bottles with a box or oscillating fan brings instant relief
- Body sprays that help cool the body are available from stores and catalogs like AVON at http://www.Avon.com or make your own with vinegar and water
- If you can afford to help purchase an air conditioner or a ceiling fan and install it, that is an exceptional gift (think about enlisting a few friends to share the cost and it’s very manageable)
- Room darkening shades or blinds also help to keep out summer heat
However you celebrate, remember that freedom has been purchased for us at a very high cost. Make the most of it for yourself and your fellowman. Have a happy and safe 4th!