Whether you’re having a few cousins over to watch the big hockey game or your in-laws are flying into Chicago for the holidays, getting ready for a family gathering can be stressful and time consuming. However, preparing some of your appetizers in advance can be a great way to give yourself some extra down time before the guests arrive. When having family over for big occasions, a Chicago mom’s secret weapon of choice is a stand-alone freezer. By investing in a stand-alone freezer, like the Frigidaire Convertible Freezer/Refrigerator that is dedicated to your bulk shopping finds, you can save money and time by easily finding what you need. This stand-alone freezer converts into a refrigerator in 24 hours at the flip of a switch, leaving you with ready to go apps. The following are five different recipes for party-friendly appetizers that can be frozen until it’s time for the party to begin.
Phyllo Onion Rolls
- Mix 8 oz. cream cheese and 2 cups of grated Gruyère cheese and set aside.
- Sauté 2 chopped onions in ¼ cup of butter until they turn translucent and stir in 3 cloves minced garlic.
- Combine the two mixtures and let cool for 20 minutes before refrigerating for 30 minutes.
- Brush melted butter in between the layers of three separate phyllo sheets and fill the sheets in three long strips with your onion/cheese combination, making three rolls.
- You can freeze the rolls for up to 3 months.
- When ready, bake at 375 degrees for 15-23 minutes and slice into appetizer size servings.
- Let 1 package of refrigerated pie crust sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.
- Sauté 8 oz. of chopped button mushrooms in 2 tbsp. butter and 1 tbsp Olive oil until tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk 1 egg, ½ cup whipping cream, ¼ tsp. salt, and 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper before pouring over mushrooms.
- Use a 3” cookie cutter for pie crust and place in a mini cupcake baking sheet.
- Pour 2 tsp. of mixture into each cupcake cup and sprinkle with Parmesan.
- After freezing, bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
Apple Mint Chutney
- Boil 3 cups of sliced and peeled apples, ½ cup golden raisins, ½ cup brown sugar, 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar, ¼ cup chopped onion, ¼ tsp. salt and 2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint leaves in a saucepan, stirring frequently.
- Once apples start to fall apart and mixture thickens, cool the chutney for 5 minutes before pouring into 2 8 oz. jars.
- You can freeze the jars for up to 3 months.
- This recipe can be catered to your own preferences, whether it’s with spinach or a spicy sauce.
- Use a cupcake baking sheet and line each cup with a round wonton wrapper.
- Alternate spreading layers of ricotta cheese, sauce, spinach, meat or whatever you might like in your lasagna, along with interval layers of wonton wrappers.
- Top them off with mozzarella cheese.
- You can freeze them and then when ready, bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees.
- Place a basil leave with a cherry tomato on top to make it appear to be a cupcake.
- Combine 8 oz. softened cream cheese, 1 tsp. dried oregano leaves, 2 tsp. chili powder and 2 cups of shredded pepper jack cheese.
- Blanch 23 jalapeno peppers after seeding and cutting in half.
- Stuff the peppers with your mixture and dip in milk and a beaten egg before rolling in breadcrumbs.
- Freeze them and place them on a cookie sheet when ready to bake. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 – 30 minutes.
Frigidaire freezers provide flexible storage options with its accessible design, are low maintenance with its frost free automatic defrost, and are built here in the USA.
For more information on this Frigidaire Freezer, other Frigidaire freezer models or home appliances, or to find a retailer in your area, visit www.Frigidaire.com.
This is a "sponsored post," meaning the company who sponsored the article compensated me for writing the article. The opinions I have expressed, however, are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."