It is no secret that the Generation Y population of Los Angeles loves vintage shopping. From the Rose Bowl and Fairfax Flea Markets to sidewalk rummage sales, where there is cheap vintage and secondhand, Gen Y Angelenos can be found.
Every Sunday from 9am to 7pm, LA vintage store, Jet Rag, sells piles of vintage clothing -- all for $1.00! If you shop wisely, you can score great deals, like tailored blazers and 1950's day dresses for a dollar each. Stylists, designers, eBay sellers, and even the wardrobe departments of film and television shows flock to Jet Rag’s weekly sales, purchasing enough cheap vintage to fill hotel laundry carts!
Upon first glance, the sale looks a bit daunting. The piles of clothing are gigantic and customers have their arms, hands, and shoulders filled to capacity with clothing and accessories. It’s not as scary as it looks. The key is to just dig in!
Here are a few tips from a veteran dollar-sale shopper:
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes.
- Parking meters are free on Sundays, so don't be afraid to bring a car!
- Be prepared to sift through junk in order to find a few diamonds in the rough.
- If a "diamond in the rough" is found, hold on to it for dear life! Once an item falls back into the piles, it’s fair game.
- Don’t touch another customer’s pile. Personal piles of clothing are usually lined along the brick fence or stuffed into a hotel laundry cart.
- Keep DIY and alterations in mind when digging. Some items may be discolored or the wrong size, but with a little TLC they can be tailored or used for fabric in other projects.
- Last, but not least, bring a friend -- or two, or three -- for companionship and an extra pair of arms. They will be put to good use!
Happy digging, and remember: the dollar sale is cash only!
Jet Rag is located on Melrose and La Brea at 825 N La Brea Ave, Los Angeles, CA.