Mike Williamson was carrying a 184 average in the Friday Mixed League at Englewood Bowl, but he blasted an opening-game 300 to jump-start a 217-over-average 769 series. He followed the perfect game with scores of 234 and 235.
John Thompson rolled the seventh USBC-certified perfect game of his career when he turned the trick in the middle of a 708 series in the Environmental A/C League at AMF Gulf Gate, where he carries a 224 average. He now has four 300s this season, including one that came three days earlier in the 700-Plus Tournament at AMF Venice.
Jim Ulrich pounded out games of 300, 237 and 193 for a 730 series in the Al Davis Memorial League at Bowland Port Charlotte, raising his average to 207 in the process.
Aleshire has the first 11 strikes again, winding up with 299
Mike Aleshire has had numerous opportunities for perfect games in his stellar career, and the 33-year-old Port Charlotte righthander had yet another chance when he opened with the first 11 strikes in the Beef O'Brady's/Parquette Insurance League at Treasure Lanes.
In some of his more-recent 11-in-a-row starts after amassing 70 lifetime 300s, Aleshire has made a protest of sorts against the USBC's diminishing award program, deliberately trying for low final-ball counts in a goal of attempting to roll every score between 290 and 300.
This time, Aleshire went for the maximum score, but he suffered a 12th-ball 10-pin and settled for 299, before completing a 787 series with games of 230 and 258, leaving his average at 229.
"I was throwing the new Roto Grip Uproar (bowling ball), and I was wanting to shot 300 this time, just because it was a new ball."
So what will be the result the next time Aleshire begins a game with the first 11? Only time will tell.
The other 299 game in this report was posted by Brett Carberry, who carries a 208 average in the Monday Night Mixed League at Englewood Bowl. He wound up with an even 700 series after subsequent scores of 226 and 175.
Renae Gross continues on a roll at Treasure Lanes
Renae Gross had another big week at Treasure Lanes, highlighted by a 703 series -- on games of 234, 267 and 202 -- in the Beef O'Brady's/Parquette Insurance Mixed League, where she carries a 215 average. She just missed a second 700 with a 698 series that included a 267 game in the Kays-Ponger-Uselton Ladies League, and she posted 235-609 numbers in the Tuesday Morning Ladies League.
Carl Frank had one of the top over-average performances with a 102-over 275 game en route to a 158-over 677 series in the Amore's Italian Restaurant Mixed League at AMF Venice. The farthest-over-average series was rolled by Tony Perin, with a 229-over 778 on games of 268, 247 and 263 in the Kays-Ponger-Uselton Men's League at Treasure Lanes.
Other far-over-average series included: Ryan Stedcke's 164-over 689 in the Environmental A/C League at AMF Gulf Gate; Dominic Orlando's 158-over 728 (238-226-266) in the Broad Street Bar & Grill League at Treasure Lanes; Glenn Reed's 150-over 734 (259-231-244) in the C&L Awards Mixed League at Sarasota Lanes; and Scott Bongiovanni's 140-over 701 (195-258-248) in the La Malinche Restaurant League at Sarasota Lanes.
Other high scores reported from leagues at area bowling establishments included:
- TREASURE LANES: David Jodoin 279-778, Jerry Weese 278 and 277, Randall Francis 277, John Hoppe 274, Jimmy Sella 268, Dennis Gonthier 267-732, Brennan Mickley 266, Craig Nichols 266, Scott Trezise 729, Jim Aleshire 728, Chuck Roame 724, Anthony Hauss 723, Mike Aleshire 717, Jerry Lord 716, Joe Catropa 715, Matt Carter 706, John Davis 700; Renae Gross 267-698 and 235-609, Dolores Meyers 256-647, Jill Harper 252-652, Diane Kays 227-616.
- BOWLAND PORT CHARLOTTE: Bob Feeney 288, Craig Nichols 280, Daniel Gassera 279, Christian Toepfer 278, Charlie Hauser 276, Bob Frisby 269, James Creutz 267, Jimmy Kuykendall 265, Dave Jodoin 736, Matt Carter 723; Mickeal Paige 257-615, Carol Grimm 247-693, Jodi Suares 237-600, Nikki Patterson 231, Jill Harper 618.
- SARASOTA LANES: Craig Schweitzer 289, Steven Baran 288 and 268, Bobby Lessig 278-702, Dillon Eisenhauer 278, Carl Sawyer III 277-727, Mike Gronow 269-728, Saul Insignares 268, Mike Rudolph 268, Carlton Hendrickson 267-727, Larry Butler 267, Jesse Hawver 267, Dave Grether 723; Shanti Schrock 259-609, Jessica Hendrickson 225-642.
- AMF VENICE LANES: Dave Cottrill 279, Dennis Johnson 269-731, Mike Zink 269-716, Chris Sell 269, Terry Cline 268-732, Fred Wilson 268-730, Roy Castile 265; Mary Stary 240-604, Dolores Meyers 225.
- AMF GULF GATE LANES: Jesse Hawver 279-750, Earl Knopf 268; Farrel Hansen 243, Tammy Ziegler 232, Cindy Grich 227, Janet Romig 623.
- AMF BRADENTON LANES: Gary Mabrier 288-700.
[You may subscribe to Bill Herald's Examiner.com bowling articles -- free of charge -- by clicking on "subscribe" near the top of the column, after which you will receive e-mail notification each time a new item is published.]