With year-end and the holiday crush, it’s important to preserve your sanity, especially in the mornings when you have a houseful of guests and breakfast needs to get on the table. These three easy make-ahead breakfasts will wow your guests, keep you sane, and get everyone fed.
Real Simple magazine brings us:
- 3/4 pound breakfast sausage, casings removed
(NOTE: Bianchini’s Market has a number of different sausages, handmade by their butchers: spicy, sweet, or mild)
- 7 cups chopped curly kale leaves (1 bunch is usually enough)
- ½ loaf multigrain bread, cubed
- 12 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces Manchego or fontina cheese grated (about 2 cups)
- Unsalted butter for the baking dish
- Cook the sausage in a large skillet over medium-high heat, breaking it into pieces, until browned, 4-5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add as much kale as will fit.
- Cook, tossing and adding more kale as there is room, until wilted but still bright green, 1 to 3 minutes.
- Place the bread in a buttered 3-quart or 9-by-13-inch baking dish and top with the cooked sausage and kale.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl.
- Whisk the milk, mustard, 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Stir in the cheese and pour over the bread mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour and up to overnight.
- Heat oven to 350F. If the strata has been refrigerated overnight, remove from the refrigerator 40 minutes before baking.
- Bake until golden brown and set around the edges, but still wobbly in the center, 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before cutting.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
This article will be continued with two more easy make-ahead breakfasts that will wow your guests.
If you would like to continue receiving recipes, baking tips, and cookbook reviews, please click the "Subscribe" icon. It's free and anonymous. Thank you for subscribing!