On Wednesday, the anti-Obamacare "I will not comply" Facebook event had accumulated over 45,000 attendees. But something strange happened Wednesday night, event organizer John Vigil told Examiner.com Thursday. Nearly 40,000 people had mysteriously been removed from the event.
According to Vigil, the event had 45,370 participants when it mysteriously dropped to just 6,000.
Worse yet, Vigil said the number is stuck at 6,000, even though hundreds of people have signed up since he first noticed the change.
"We estimate that we are at around 45,800 right now," he said.
He also observed that the number of "declines" mysteriously increased by about 40,000.
"Coincidence?" he asked.
Vigil, a physician from Albuquerque, N.M., acknowledges the problem could be a software glitch on Facebook, and contacted the site's help system, but as usual, has not received a response. We also contacted Facebook to determine if there is a known problem with events, but have heard nothing in response.
We also performed a search, but found nothing to indicate any known issues with Facebook events.
One event attendee said she was removed from the event without her consent.
"I don't get it! I've been on this page since it's inception and I find out today that I'm not on it anymore," said Facebook user "Nancy JustNancy."
That user said in another comment that she had temporarily deactivated her account and suggested that action may have caused her problem.
We found comments from others who said their name had been removed from the list of those attending the ongoing event.
Another person suggested that since Facebook leans to the left, site operators are changing the numbers on purpose.
The event asks users to not comply with the Obamacare sign-up rules.
"The Obama administration has made March 31st as their deadline to sign up millions of unsuspecting Americans for their disaster, Obamacare. Let's send a message that we will not enroll...we will not comply," the event description says.
Note: Dr. Vigil will discuss this issue with Joe on Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014, at 5 p.m. Pacific time here.
Update: As of 5 p.m. Pacific Time Thursday, the number reflects over 45,800 people attending the event. Facebook still has not explained the discrepancy.
- Facebook event encourages Americans to disobey Obamacare enrollment rules
- Liberal 'trolls' post list of conservative Facebook pages marked for takeover
- Mike Huckabee: Facebook deliberately censoring pro-Phil Robertson event page
- A short list of words safe to use on Facebook
- Controversial Facebook page says Jesus Christ should’ve been aborted
- Conservative tells liberals to stop living off the government, Facebook bans him
- Liberals Are people Too…Mean, Selfish People
- Facebook apologizes to Kirk Cameron for blocking new movie
- Facebook says ‘Zimmerman must Die’ does not violate community standards
- Facebook removes ‘Kill Zimmerman’ page after saying it does not violate rules
- Questions raised after Facebook yanks popular ‘Uncle Sam’s Misguided Children’