Families can get down and dirty with nature at Family Adventure Day from 12 p.m. - 3 p.m. on Sunday, June 3 at Northerly Island, located at 1400 S. Linn White Dr., on the Museum Campus. The admission-free event is the official kick-off to June Leave No Child Inside month, sponsored by Chicago Wilderness.
Thousands of kids across the greater Chicago and northwest Indiana region will participate in a variety of Leave No Child Inside activities during the month. The idea is to encourage them to get outside and experience nature, both to benefit their health as well as build a sense of stewardship of our natural resources.
Family Adventure Day offers families the opportunity to get in touch with their inner explorer on Northerly Island. Focusing on nature activities such as fort building, kite flying, nature hikes, fishing and creating nature-inspired crafts, this day of outdoor fun is targeted towards early-childhood aged children, but has activities available for kids of all ages.
Here's what's in store:
- Discover Illinois Wildlife: Presented by the Illinois Department of Natural Resources, where kids will learn about the different wildlife that lives throughout this region.
- Build a campfire: The Illinois Department of Natural Resources will teach kids about fire safety, how to build a safe campfire, sing songs and enjoy marshmallows.
- Discovery Hike: A naturalist-led walk around Northerly Island.
- Chicago’s Fish’n Kids Program: Free fishing instruction for kids ages six and up. Kids are guaranteed to catch a fish.
- Fort Building: Kids will build their own forts using materials found in their natural surroundings.
- Fairy Houses: Kids use their imagination and create a fairy house from nature.
- Frogs and Toads, Oh My!: Educator David Stokes teaches kids the differences between a frog, toad and a turtle.
- Mud Paining: Garfield Park Alliance will help kids create mud masterpieces.
- Kite flying: Kids and families can enjoy flying kites for free. Check out a kite and let them take to the skies. Keep fingers crossed for a windy day.
- Nature Journaling: The cover will be decorated by the kids; inside the journal are ideas of what to do on a nature hike.
- Gym Wheel: Learn to play with a Gym Wheel and The Cirques Experience Wheel Jam.
For more information, call 312-742-PLAY. For more information on Leave No Child Inside month, visit www.chicagowilderness.org.
Getting to Northerly Island:
Driving: Take Lake Shore Drive (N or S) to the 18th Street/Museum Campus exit. Follow Museum Campus Drive toward Adler Planetarium. Turn right on Linn White Drive. Go past the Charter One Pavilion (on left) and the Burnham Harbor Yacht Club (on right). The visitor center and free parking are on the left.
Public Transportation: Take the #146 bus, exit at Linn White Drive and walk south to the Visitor Center.