The Annual Greenfest Philly is again be at the Headhouse Square (2nd and South Streets) this Sunday, September 7, 2014 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This is tri-state region’s largest environmental festival promises to be bigger than ever with live music,edible bugs, free demos, an outdoor beer garden, organic food and drinks, shopping, kids’ corner, a rock wall, and even rock wall. Admission is free.
Greenfest is an important festival because we celebrate all things happening in our city to promote sustainability and we reaffirm our commitment to a positive future,” said Joseph Otis Minott, Esq., Executive Director. “It gives me an optimistic view to see these wonderful ideals in thousands of attendees, and I love to see the passion that Philadelphians have for our environment. Philadelphia has a lot to be proud of.”
For more information, visit the website The Annual Greenfest Philly
Festival “Green Cards” are available for $30 that includes food and drink discounts, a free t-shirt, and eco-friendly swag.
- Eco-friendly fashion, beauty, and home goods – including SteelCore organic workout wear, Soapbox Holistic soaps, and Glad Dog Nation recycled dog toys.
- Oone of a kind handmade art and crafts from eco-artisans such as Beaucycled upcycled jewelry and accessories, and Urban Textile Works prints.
- Tasty surprises such as edible bugs including crickets on crackers and chocolate brownies made with flour made from ground bugs.
- Exciting prizes like a Trek bike from Philadelphia Insurance Companies to make commuting greener AND more fun.
- Education of critical environmental issues from leading advocacy groups.
- Free Philadelphia blue recycling bin for your home or office.
- Complimentary bike valet courtesy of Philadelphia Insurance Companies.
- Clean out your closets for the Philly Swap at Greenfest Philly. Bring gently used clothing, toys and books for free entry into the swap area, or make a $5 donation (includes a free Philly Swap bag). Upon entry in the swap, you are free to roam and take what you’d like.
- Recharge station with refurbished chairs and furniture, free iced tea, coffee and solar powered chargers.
- Pamper yourself with chair massage and natural organic treatments from Eviama Life Green Spa and Boutique, the region’s green designed and operated all natural spa in the city.
Fun for All at MOM’S Organic Market Kids’ Corner
- Free samples of healthy Snacks at MOM’s Organic Market – Kids can also pick up their FREE Greenfest t-shirts (free to the first 200 children).
- Kids Play with Clay from 10:00am to 2:00pm - The Clay Studio will be hosting a group-sculpt in the MOM’s Organic Market Kids’ Corner. Kids will be invited to sculpt small objects with traditional clay materials and put them together, creating a large group sculpture.
- Frisbee Spin Art from 10:00am to 4:00pm - Always a Greenfest favorite, Tall Pines Day Camp will be helping kids to create colorful and exciting spin art on Frisbees.
- Kid’s Yoga, time TBA - Yoga Garden will be leading a yoga class just for kids! Creative thinking, flexibility, better health, inner focus, greater concentration, improved social skills and physical strength are just some of the benefits of yoga for kids. Through interactive games and exercises, kids learn yoga postures, breathing techniques and lots more! And it’s all just plain fun!
- Rock Climb from 10:00am to 4:00pm - Kids and adults can catch climbing fever and try their hand at scaling a 25 foot rock wall.
Victory Brewing Company is providing the beer for the Greenfest Philly Sustainably Brewed Beer Garden. Since opening the brewery in February 1996, Victory has emphasized environmental responsibility. As part of the brewing process Victory recycles the nearly 25,000 pounds of spent grain is generated every 24 hours through an an arrangement with a local farmer who takes this brewing by-product and feeds it to his farm animals.
- Sample delicious, healthy, local and organic food from popular food trucks and local eateries.
- Farm Truck was built around knowing what is in your food and where it comes from. All produce comes from local farms, all bread from a local bakery, and the coffee is organic, fairly traded and locally roasted.
- Kung Fu Hoagies is an all vegetarian and vegan friendly food cart serving South and West Philadelphia. Hoagies, noodles and sides creatively inspired by traditional vegetarian Vietnamese food, served by friendly local Kung Fu addicts.
- Little Baby's is a hand-made, small-batch, super-premium Ice Cream and non-dairy frozen dessert company based in East Kensington, Philadelphia.
- Lil’ Pop Shop's unique ice pops are hand-crafted in small batches from a seasonal assortment of fresh, natural, locally-sourced ingredients. No neon or artificial ingredients or dyes are ever used in their ice pops.
- Local 215 is committed to sourcing as many ingredients locally as possible while still providing you with high quality affordable food options year round. It is their mission to extend only the freshest, most natural and unprocessed foods to their customers. Buying from local farmers not only makes their dishes delicious; it also supports our neighbors’ livelihoods.
- SoomFoods will offer Soom Tahini, a pure sesame butter that is a versatile ingredient for both savory and sweet recipes. All products are made in a peanut-free facility. All of SoomFoods’ Tahini products are kosher, gluten-free, and vegan.
Other food and drink vendors will include:
- ACME Markets
- Bonjour Creperie
- Cobblestone Krautery
- The Twisted Tail
- Local music is more sustainable than music that has to be shipped thousands of miles to your ears. In the Greenfest Philly spirit, Earth Jam 2014 features 4 of the most exciting emerging bands Philly has to offer. Music runs 11:00am to 3:30pm.
- West Philadelphia Orchestra: With a diverse line-up of professional Philadelphia musicians whose influences range from Sun Ra to Bulgarian brass bands, West Philadelphia Orchestra is a unique live ensemble in today’s auto-tuned musical world.
- Ron Gallo: Ron Gallo is an ever-changing, good spirited, weirdo madman. This "arts and crafts music project" of the same name is an attempt at capturing where Ron Gallo is at any given moment.
- Pine Barons: Born among the pitch pines of southern New Jersey. With a wide spectrum of influences, from classic rock to folk, jazz, and punk, Pine Barons is an amalgamation of four personalities and visions whose friendship and respect shape their craft.
- No Stranger: No Stranger is a musical chronicle of Jonathan Cooney's journey through life and his attempt to understand our time in it. His blend of acoustic finger style under an ethereal voice aims for your heart and hopes to stay.
The Green Innovators Program, sponsored by SCA, has become a highlight of Greenfest Philly. Over the past three years, 22 local emerging sustainable businesses and organizations were honored and invited to participate. Hundreds of Greenfest Philly attendees are able to engage with and learn from these businesses and organizations and then vote for their favorite Innovator at Greenfest or online at http://greenfestphilly.org/content/greenfest-philly-green-innovator-program.
The 2014 Greenfest Philly Green Innovators:
- Bike Share Philadelphia
- Climate Tracker
- Cycle Philly
- Milkcrate Philly
- The GREEN Program
Greenfest Philly is presented by Clean Air Council, with support from MOM's Organic Market, Philadelphia Insurance Companies (PHLY), PGW EnergySense, SCA, Waste Management, Zip Car, Amtrak, Aversa PR & Events, Enterprise Car Share, door door organics, Sustainable
Business Network, South Street Headhouse District, ConsolidatedSolar.net and AVRS.
ABOUT GREENFEST PHILLY
Since its launch in 2006, Greenfest Philly has been a model for producing sustainable events. The festival demonstrates its commitment to reducing environmental impact by sourcing power from two large solar powered generators, recycling and composting over 80% of waste, and providing attendees with water bottle refill stations and a complimentary bike valet. All festival exhibitors are evaluated by Clean Air Council to ensure they are providing services, information, or goods that are sustainable.
ABOUT CLEAN AIR COUNCIL
Greenfest Philly is organized by Clean Air Council, a member-supported, non-profit environmental organization dedicated to protecting everyone’s right to breathe clean air. For more information, visit www.greenfestphilly.org or www.cleanair.org.