From the very beginning God has always spoken to his creation.
It was important for His creation to LISTEN to His instructions for their own health and safety while on the earth; the earth HE created just for them.
(In your spare time read Genesis chapters 1-3, but for now, this bit of information will help you to understand the importance of LISTENING to God’s directions.)
Genesis 2:5, 7, 9, 16-17
5) And every plant of the field before it was in the earth, and every herb of the field before it grew: for the Lord God had not caused it to rain upon the earth, and there was not a man to till the ground
7) And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
9) And out of the ground made the Lord God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.
16) And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17) But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
But, after Adam and Eve failed to follow God’s commandments and this caused them to sin greatly against God, they were instantly separated from Him.
Genesis 3: 9-17, 23-24
9-17) And the Lord God called unto Adam, and said unto him, Where art thou?
And he said, I heard thy voice in the garden, and I was afraid, because I was naked; and I hid myself.
And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat?
And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat.
And the Lord God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.
And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:
And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.
And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;
23) Therefore the Lord God sent him forth from the garden of Eden, to till the ground from whence he was taken.
24) So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Afterwards, God spoke only through chosen faithful followers like the patriarchs of old Noah, Abraham and others. (Genesis 17: 1-16)
Later there were others he spoke through such as prophets and judges (Judges 4:4-6).
And finally our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ came to earth and spoke to us long, long ago and we (His faithful followers) are assured He speaks to us even now. (Hebrews 13:5b)
Christ continued His earthly work through his appointed 12 apostles (Acts 2:42), and later on Paul was divinely commissioned by God to usher the Gentiles into Christendom (Acts 9).
God wants us to hear and UNDERSTAND what He is saying to us.
My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
God specifically designed us with eyes to see and ears to hear.
The hearing ear, and the seeing eye, the Lord hath made even both of them.
Those who have an ear let him hear the words that are spoken from our Savior. Because God wants us to listen to Him and follow His directives so that we can have eternal life.
If any man have an ear, let him hear.