This new years eve, no matter if you are going out or staying in, the drink of choice most people drink is Champagne; however, this bubbly can have a nice little price tag to go along with the taste. So, if you do not want to pay the price for a nice bottle of Champagne, but you want the flavor a good choice would to go with a bottle of Cava.
Cava is a sparkling wine that in made in the country of Spain. It is made in the same method as Champagne "methode champenoise". So you will find a lot of the same flavor profiles that you do in Champagne. Cava was first produced in 1872 by wine maker Josep Raventos Fatjo and was quickly picked up by the other wine makers in the region.
So what should you know if you are trying to buy a bottle of Spanish Cava. There are three main brands of Cava you will find in the store today.
- Cordorniu - is the first brand that you will see in the store and it is the Cava that was made by Joesp Raventos Fatjo
- Freixenet - this is the next brand that you are most likely to see in the store. It is usually found in a black bottle
- Segura Viudas - This brand is considered a newcomer in the market coming around in 1950, but you will find some very nice bottles.
When you are looking at the bottles of Spanish Cava there are six official types that you need to learn to buy for the proper taste that you are looking for.
- Extra Brut, this is the driest of the Cava styles
- Extra Seco
- Semi- Seco
- Dulce, this is the sweetest of the Cava styles
So this New Years if you are looking at buying a bottle of Spanish Cava, please enjoy and drink safe.