What is Jeopardy?
With a little help from his wife, writer/singer/actor/producer Mervyn "Merv" Griffin came up with the idea on a trip. According to an interview with the Associated Press, Griffin said his wife said "5280" which he knew meant how many feet were in a mile. He pitched the idea to the NBC execs and the rest, as they say, is game show history! Jeopardy! was a great big hit!
How to Play
And just in case you've never seen it, Jeopardy! is a game show, with a bit of a twist. Instead of having to come up with an answer, the host provides the answer from six different categories while three contestants try to be the first one to come up with the correct response, in the form of a question. The winner wins cash and gets to come back as champion on the next show for a chance to win more money.
It's hard to believe the popular game show premiered 50 years ago. But instead of celebrating its five decades on the air, the show is showcasing former champions from the past 30 years in the Battle of the Decades in honor of its 30 year anniversary in 1984.
- What was the show originally called? (What's the Question? No, that really was the name of the show!)
- Who wrote the theme to Jeopardy!? (Originally titled, A Time for Tony, Griffin originally wrote the lullaby for his son, Tony. )
- Who was the original host? (Art Fleming)
When did Trebek start hosting the show? (1984)
Who is the announcer for the show? (Johnny Gilbert)
- What celebs have appeared on the celebrity version of the show? (Jodie Foster, Martin Short, Stephen King, Anderson Cooper, Wolf Blitzer, to name a few)
- Who has the longest winning streak? (Ken Jennings appeared in 74 consecutive shows and earned millions.)
- Who had the highest one day total? ( Roger Craig - $77,000)
- What happened on the show on March 16, 2007? (There was a three-way tie between Jamey Kirby, Anders Martinson and Scott Weiss.)
- When Lt. Col. Daryl Scott won in 1993, how much money did he win? ($1 )
- What happened on April 1, 1997? (Pat Sajak hosted Jeopardy! while Trebek hosted Wheel of Fortune! April Fools!)
- During a Tournament of Champions show, why did Trebek turn around and leave the stage? (He was not wearing trousers. Watch it for yourself!)
The answer is Pencil Day and The Grass is Always Browner on the Other Side of the Fence Day? What are the other holidays that occur on March 30?