When the Magic Kingdom celebrated the leap year in 2012 by staying open all night, I didn't think anything could top that. Little did I know that the park would repeat the feat in 2013 in honor of its Monstrous Summer celebration.
I donned my Minnie Mouse nightshirt, so of course I had to get a photo with Mickey and Minnie herself. She loved my nightie and let me know that its slogan was very accurate. Like me, she's not a morning person.
There's something really special about being at the park in the wee hours of the morning and watching the sun rise when you're standing near Cinderella Castle. Hopefully there are more overnight events to come.
Of course, when Disney made the Monstrous Summer announcement earlier in the year, that was quite an amazing event itself. Click the video accompanying this article to see Mike and Sully taking over the giant Spaceship Earth sphere. Very impressive!
To see the other experiences that make up my top 13 for 2013, use this list:
- Transformers Grand Opening at Universal Studios Florida
- Shrink Wrapped Space Shuttle Atlantis at Kennedy Space Center
- Overnight at the Magic Kingdom
- Antarctica opening at SeaWorld Orlando
- Night of Joy Lunch at Disney World
- Seeing John Landis at Halloween Horror Nights
- Scream Cam at HowlOScream
- Dining at Walt Disney World
- Swan and Dolphin Food and Wine Classic
- SeaWorld Orlando Manatee Release
- World of Chima at Legoland Florida
- Grape Stomping at Lakeridge Winery
- Nutcracker Tea at Rosen Shingle Creek