Have you ever watched "I Love Lucy" and wondered what it would be like to stomp grapes in person? Do they feel squishy between your toes as you try your darnedest to stomp out every last bit of juice?
I discovered the answer for myself this year at Lakeridge Winery in Clermont, less than an hour away from the Walt Disney World area. The winery has daily tastings and a wide of special events throughout the year. I did my stomping at the annual Lakeridge Winery Harvest Festival, where grape stomping contests go on all day.
I had a blast mashing the grapes into oblivion with my bare feet (don't worry, they're not actually used to make wine), but I have to admit that it wasn't my favorite part of the day. That honor is reserved for the wine tasting, which takes you on a tour of all the entire Lakeridge Winery collection, going from dry to sweet.
Click the video accompanying this article to see the grape stomping and an overview of the entire festival. It's a family friendly event, with food and entertainment, so you can easily make a day of it. The winery's other festivals and celebrations are all similar and just as much fun.
If you'd like to check out all 13 of my favorite 2013 memories, use the links below.
- Transformers Grand Opening at Universal Studios Florida
- Shrink Wrapped Space Shuttle Atlantis at Kennedy Space Center
- Overnight at the Magic Kingdom
- Antarctica opening at SeaWorld Orlando
- Night of Joy Lunch at Disney World
- Seeing John Landis at Halloween Horror Nights
- Scream Cam at HowlOScream
- Dining at Walt Disney World
- Swan and Dolphin Food and Wine Classic
- SeaWorld Orlando Manatee Release
- World of Chima at Legoland Florida
- Grape Stomping at Lakeridge Winery
- Nutcracker Tea at Rosen Shingle Creek