How often do you get up close with one of the actual shuttles that flew in space? Well, actually, you can do that any time now at the Kennedy Space Center Visitors Complex, which is the permanent home of the space shuttle Atlantis. It's on display in an amazing facility that lets you truly appreciate its scope. You also get a glimpse of what life in space is like.
But how often do you see a space shuttle wrapped up in shrink wrap? That unique sight was one of the highlights of 2013 for me, hand in hand with returning to see Atlantis all unwrapped and restored.
Kennedy Space Center is only about an hour away from the Orlando attractions area, and it has so much to see and do. You can go on a simulated shuttle ride as part of the new exhibit, enjoy an Angry Birds attraction, see priceless artifacts, and even meet an astronaut.
I highly recommend visiting Atlantis and seeing the true scope of this veteran space vehicle. I love what they did with the exhibit and the way they display it as though it's being seen in space. Still, whenever I look at it, I'll always remember seeing it carefully protected in shrink wrap. That's definite a one of a kind sight.
Click the video accompanying this article to go on the hard hat tour with me and see it for yourself.
To see all 13 of my top memories from the past year, use the list below:
- Transformers Grand Opening at Universal Studios Florida
- Shrink Wrapped Space Shuttle Atlantis at Kennedy Space Center
- Overnight at the Magic Kingdom
- Antarctica opening at SeaWorld Orlando
- Night of Joy Lunch at Disney World
- Seeing John Landis at Halloween Horror Nights
- Scream Cam at HowlOScream
- Dining at Walt Disney World
- Swan and Dolphin Food and Wine Classic
- SeaWorld Orlando Manatee Release
- World of Chima at Legoland Florida
- Grape Stomping at Lakeridge Winery
- Nutcracker Tea at Rosen Shingle Creek