SeaWorld Orlando debuted a brand-new type of attraction in 2013: Antarctica: Empire of the Penguin. The trackless ride vehicles are the first of their kind, allowing you to choose from a wild or mild experience as you journey to the penguin habitat. Don't worry, even "wild" is still family friendly.
I was very intrigued by the ride vehicles, but I must admit that my favorite part of this new attraction is the penguins themselves. They have an all-new habitat that lets you get so close that they can literally splash you. Click the video accompanying this article to see the habitat for yourself.
I also had the privilege of going on a behind the scenes penguin tour later in the year, which you can read about in this article. You can book this extra-cost tour yourself, and I highly recommend it. You actually get to pet a penguin and get a very memorable photo of you with your new black and white friend.
To read about all of my top 13 experiences in 2013, choose from the list below:
- Transformers Grand Opening at Universal Studios Florida
- Shrink Wrapped Space Shuttle Atlantis at Kennedy Space Center
- Overnight at the Magic Kingdom
- Antarctica opening at SeaWorld Orlando
- Night of Joy Lunch at Disney World
- Seeing John Landis at Halloween Horror Nights
- Scream Cam at HowlOScream
- Dining at Walt Disney World
- Swan and Dolphin Food and Wine Classic
- SeaWorld Orlando Manatee Release
- World of Chima at Legoland Florida
- Grape Stomping at Lakeridge Winery
- Nutcracker Tea at Rosen Shingle Creek