2012 was a bit of a mixed bag. We were bombarded by a seemingly endless stream of natural disasters, inflammatory political rhetoric, and senseless tragedies, but we also witnessed the flourishing of art, culture, and general human kindness. For those of us in Tampa Bay, we also witnessed a year of fabulous theatre. As good as 2012 was for theatre; however, as the Counting Crows would say, "there's reason to believe maybe this year will be better than the last." So, as you ring in the New Year and prepare for 2013, here's a list of 13 theatre moments to look forward to this year:
13. "The Piano Lesson" at American Stage, which runs from January 18th thru March 3rd.
12. "Titus Andronicus," which is being produced as part of the BRIT program at USF and runs from February 21st thru March 2nd.
11. "Hay Fever," which runs at Jobsite from January 8th to February 3rd.
10. "In the Next Room" at USF, which will run from April 11th thru April 21st.
9. "War Horse," which will be coming to the Straz Center on April 30th for a limited engagement that runs through May 5th.
8. "Traces," another short run in the Straz Center's Broadway series, that will play in Morsani from January 29th thru February 3rd.
7. "Of Mice and Men" at Stageworks, which, pending the rights, will run May 2nd thru May 19th.
6. "Tampa Wrights 2," a collection of one-acts by local playwrights, which will open at Tampa Rep on May 30th and run for 3 weeks.
5. "Hamlet," which is also being performed by Tampa Rep, although this time they are working in conjunction with Hat Trick. The show will run from April 24th to May 12th.
4. "Wicked," which will be returning to the Straz center on January 9th and will stay until January 27th.
3. "Much Ado About Nothing" at Jobsite, which will run from March 13th thru April 7th.
2. "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee," which will run at American Stage from April 24th thru May 26th
1. "The Glass Managerie," which opens at Tampa Rep on January 10th and runs thru the 27th.
What theatre are you looking forward to in 2013? Hit the comment section with your thoughts!