(Mickey) Gilley’s Rats alumni (Remembering Gilley’s ) and “Urban Cowboy” cast members, invite you to The Third Annual “Urban Cowboy” Saturday Night Reunion, October 5, 2013, 8 p.m.at the Texas Saloon 7337 Spencer, Pasadena, Texas.
Don’t miss this chance to travel back…and visit Gilley’s nightclub and “Urban Cowboy” 1970’s and 1980’s ’s glory! The “Urban Cowboy” Reunion is dedicated to one of the most well-known and best-loved men in Texas, Sherwood Cryer, co-founder with Mickey Gilley of Gilley’s.
With the coordination and energy of Mickey Gilley, hosted by John L. Schubert, Leon Beck, editor and publisher of Hot Country Magazine, and the wonderful silent auction coordinator, Anita Campbell, the Gilley Rats alumni, the beautiful owner of the Texas Saloon, Kay Marcy Russell and many, many voluteers, the legend lives on through this historic event. The Texas Saloon is as close to being at Gilley’s that you can get. Tickets for the event are at the 1980’s price cover of only $ 5.00.
Members from the original “Urban Cowboy” movie cast and others will be there, live entertainment and so much more. There will also be a silent auction full of historic Gilley’s memorabilia and new and unique treasures that you just can’t resist. Grab a part of Gilley’s history.
A list of auction items:
INVENTORY SHEET FOR SILENT AUCTION
ITEM DESCRIPTION DONATED BY: AMT SOLD
- 1. URBAN COWBOY POSTER ANITA CAMPBELL
- 2. ORIGAMI NECKLACE ANITA CAMPBELL
- 3. GATOR DANCING MANUAL ANITA CAMPBELL
- 4. UC PRESS ANITA CAMPBELL
- 5. SCRIPT THE MAKING OF URBAN COWBOY ANITA CAMPBELL
- 6. UC RECORD ANITA CAMPBELL
- (2) FORT BEND COUNTY RODEO TICKETS LEON BECK
- JOHNNY LEE LP JIM BOBO RICHARDSON
- 7. RONNIE MCKINNEY 45 RECORD RONNIE MCKINNEY
- 8. BOTTLE WHISKEY TEXAS SILVER STAR WHISKEY
- 9. GILLEYS WHISKEY GLASS ANITA CAMPBELL
- GILLEYS SHOT GLASS ANITA CAMPBELL
- 10. CROWN RESERVE MICHAEL MURPHY
- MONTANA BOOK CHRIS PETERSON
- 11. (1) HOUR ACOUSTIC SET ABBY GOUGH
- 12. (3) HOURS ORGANIZING SHARON STETZEL WAGNER
- 13. MR AND MRS FRANKENSTEIN RITA HOBBS
- 14. MARDI GRAS BASKET CARL HAN & GARY GIDDINGS
- 15. (2) BOTTLES OF WINE CARL HAN & GARY GIDDINGS
- 16. WIND UP TOYS CARL HAN & GARY GIDDINGS
- BARBIE GLASSES ANITA CAMPBELL
- 17. GILLEYS JACKET SIGNED BY CHARLIE DANIELS HOUSTON EVANS
- 18. FIDDLE SIGNED BY CHARLIE DANIELS GARY RYDER
- 19. BLUE COWBOY HAT GARY RYDER
- 20. CASE OF PRINTER PAPER HYDE KIRBY
- 21. BBQ SET VICKI & BILL SCHAEFER
- 22. OWL S&P SHAKERS VICKI & BILL SCHAEFER
- SPREAD BOWL VICKI & BILL SCHAEFER
- (2) JARS HOMEMADE PLUM JELLY KAYE WARNICK
- 23. SILVER PHOTO FRAMES VICKI & BILL SCHAEFER
- SILVER RING HOLDER VICKI & BILL SCHAEFER
- 24. LUCHESSE COWBOY BOOTS BUZZ BELLMONT
- 25. BUNDLE OF CD’S KATHY SCHICK
- 26. NEW CD’S SANDIE GILLARD
- 27. SILVER BABY SET TAMMY CAMPBELL
- BABY BIB ANITA CAMPBELL
- 28. GILLEYS SUSPENDERS JESSE MAPES
- UC PHOTO JESSE MAPES
- 29. UC PHOTO POSTER JIM BOBO RICHARDSON
- UC 8TRACK, VHS, LP JIM BOBO RICHARDSON
- 30. $200 CERTIFICATE BED AND BREAKFAST TIFFANY ROBERTS BERTRAM
- 31. (2) GILLEYS RECORDS JAY HUNT
- GILLEYS DVD GARY CARLSON
- (2) TICKETS TO GILLEYS BRANSON SHOW GARY CARLSON
- 32. UC PHOTO NORMAN TUCKER
- 33. CHOCOLATE FUDGE CAKE CONNIE BARTH
- 34. CUPCAKES CARLY TANGEDAHL
- 35. BOTTLE OF HONEY WHISKEY TEXAS SILVER STAR WHISKEY
See performers and special guest in advertisement attached in slideshow.
All week, you could feel the excitement building for those of us Gilley Rats for this weekend’s reunion! A Gilley Rat is a proud name for those of us who spent most of our weekends at Mickey Gilley’s nightclub, with people like Charlie Daniels Band, Mickey Gilley, Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson, ZZ Top, Little Texas, Merle Haggard, Cystal Gayle and all the rockin’ Country music legends of the 1970’s and 1980’s, but are still rocking strong. The interior of the club featured multiple bars and mechanical bulls. A small rodeo space also allowed for bicycle and motorcycle races.
If you were too young to be a Gilley’s Rat, we’ll adopt you and let us lead you to time travel back to the heyday of 1980’s Country music.
If you lived anywhere within a couple of hundred miles of Pasadena, Texas, during this time period, this was your mecca for Country-wild music, mechanical bull riding, dancing and drinking. And it was a place where you could leave every worry behind and lose yourself in this magical Country music-electrified atmosphere. Back in 1973, a business partnership was formed between business man Sherwood Cryer and country music performer Mickey Gilley. This partnership resulted in creation of what would become the world’s largest nightclub, according to Guiness Book of World Records. Gilley’s Club would last on into the late 1980s until the club's closing and eventual destruction by a fire.
Although, Mickey Gilley opened a Gilley’s in Dallas and in Las Vegas, he recently announced in June, 2013, that the originally Gilley’s will be rebuilt in a location close to the original Gilley’s, in about 6 months – so possibly December of this year. Watch for updates on the renovation. Mickey Gilley has also spread out to many areas, including Gilley’s Las Vegas, Gilley’s Dallas and more.
If you don’t remember or have never seen the movie, “Urban Cowboy” with Bud (John Travolta) and Sissy (Debra Winger) filmed at Gilley’s in Pasadena, you missed an era in time. We’ll heal you in minutes at the Texas Saloon on Saturday!
Gilley’s was already widely known for the place to be so the movie “Urban Cowboy” further sparked the frenzy of being Country Cool. It was quite an amazing experience for Gilley Rats to see our natural real lives blown up on screen! The movie further gilded Gilley’s as a world-known destination for dancing, top-level Country music entertainers and the largest dance floor ever seen. And, you just couldn’t buy enough jeans, belt buckles, cowboy hats and boots. We flooded Gilley’s to be extras, we held our breath until we were able to see the movie in living color and we felt the pride of being a part of a Texas diamond, now shining worldwide.
In the late '70s, New York City had Studio 54. Pasadena, Texas, had Gilley's. The massive honky-tonk nightclub, which was the real star of the 1980 John Travolta flick Urban Cowboy, was an entertainment mecca in the booming chemical-plant town -- a place where plant workers could catch big-name country music acts, dance with somebody special or just get completely shithoused with friends after work.
It's safe to say that the joint made an impression. More than 30 years after Urban Cowboy's premiere and more than 20 since Gilley's was destroyed by a suspicious fire, hundreds of the club's old regulars -- now scattered to the wind -- are getting together this weekend at Pasadena's Texas Saloon for an Urban Cowboy reunion to catch up, reminisce and sip a few longnecks.
Memories flood back for those of us who were there. When you walked in those doors, you felt like you were in the presence of Country music royalty and you were the awaited guest to this party. The mechanical bull was the attraction, beaten only by the performances of spectacular bands. Bright lights, music blaring, dance floor swaying with two steps and the whip, making the mundane and problems in your life melt away and a rejuvenating charge went through you like someone had turned up the power times ten. There was no feeling like it.
Well, if you lived it then, come on in and travel back in time. If you never got to experience the “Urban Cowboy” Gilley’s lifestyle, then you’re in for a revival of the spirit in your Country music soul and a real blast from the past.
For more information on the “Urban Cowboy” Reunion and Sherwood Cryer Memorial event, contact:
Group to join: Remembering Gilley's Club, Pasadena, Texas
Leon Beck, Publisher and Editor of
Kay Marcy Russell, Owner of Texas Saloon
Texas Saloon Website
Phone: (281) 479-2679
Anita Campbell - Auction coordinator, and singer, songwriter
1135 South Lamar Street
Dallas, TX 75215
Gilley’s Saloon, Dance Hall & BBQ
Treasure Island Hotel & Casino
3300 S. Las Vegas Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89109 - 702-894-7111