Whether or not you want to see a music festival, watch a movie, exercise, or go to a fab party; this list will give you the inside scoop of things to do in LA during the week of September 1-7, 2013.
Sunday September 1, 2013
- FOOD/BEER: If you are in Long Beach for the Labor Day holiday, check out Delicious Chili and Brewfest at The Queen Mary (1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802.) The first-year festival will take place on Sunday, Sept. 1 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Queen Mary's beautiful Waterfront Events Park and celebrate the best in culinary and local breweries. Cost is $10.00 - $45.00. For more information, click here.
- NIGHTLIFE: Missed your invite to Diddy's White Party? Well, here's your second chance. West Hollywood's Skybar at Mondrian (8440 Sunset Blvd., West Hollywood, CA 90069) is hosting its own White Party on Sunday, September 1. Doors open at 9pm, and you must wear white to attend. RSVP or Table Reservations. Call 323.848.6025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Entry is free.
Monday September 2, 2013
- EXERCISE: Want to train your body with the help of real MMA fighters? Then check out Eagle Rock's SoCal MMA gym (440 1/2 York Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90041.) Classes range from MMA Fighting courses to Women's Kickboxing, and the instructors are world-renowned fighters who will whip you into shape but actually be friendly while doing it. They offer courses for men, women, and children. See their website for class times and pricing: http://socalmmafitness.com/
Tuesday September 3, 2013
- EXERCISE: For a truly breathtaking outdoor experience, check out the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook in Culver City (6300 Hetzler Rd, Culver City, CA 90232.) The park around the scenic overlook is beautiful enough, but its the stone stairway that steals the show. The stairs provide a great workout with an incredible view, but it is highly recommended to wear proper footwear because the stairs can get slick and they are uneven. To read other people's tips about the Baldwin Hills Scenic Overlook, check out its Yelp page: http://www.yelp.com/biz/baldwin-hills-scenic-overlook-culver-city
Wednesday September 4, 2013
- MUSIC: Every first and third Wednesday of the month, Chinatown's best kept secret occurs at Grand Star Jazz Club (943 N Broadway, Los Angeles, CA 90012.) MidTones/ Space Circus is an eclectic and experimental open jam. It welcomes poets, dancers, musicians, and comedians to perform with no limitation, and this free form style is a fun experience for those in the crowd. Doors open at 8:30p and ends at midnight. To see what people are saying about the show on Yelp: http://www.yelp.com/biz/midtones-space-circus-los-angeles
Thursday September 5, 2013
- MUSEUMS/ART: The Museum of Contemporary Art, or MOCA for short, features one of the best permanent collections in the country, with works by artists such as Roy Lichtenstein, Mark Rothko and more. Free admission every Thursday from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. It's located Downtown at 250 S. Grand Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90012. Check out their Facebook for exhibit updates: https://www.facebook.com/MOCAlosangeles
- MUSIC: It's nearing the end of summer, and you're probably still not ready to give up the summer staple--the music festival. Luckily, you can still catch Farm Fresh at the Farmer's Market (6333 W.3rd St.Los Angeles, CA 90036.) The last set of the summer is on Thursday, September 5 and Friday September 6. The event is free to the public and family-friendly. http://www.farmersmarketla.com/events/eventDetail/Summer-Music-Series/2
Friday September 6, 2013
- MOVIE: Embrace your inner nerd at the Vista Theater (4473 Sunset Drive, Los Angeles, CA) for its midnight movie screening of Serenity. Tickets are $10.50 at the door, and cosplay, singing along, or quoting lines is encouraged. For more information, see the event's Facebook page.
Saturday September 7, 2013
- COMEDY: Fans who loved the comedy of Russian-born Yakov Smirnoff throughout his extensive career can experience his comedy once again with his one-man show Happily Ever Laughter at the ACME Comedy Hollywood (135 N. La Brea Ave., Hollywood, CA 90036), which runs on Saturdays at 8pm until September 21. Tickets cost $25 in advance and $30 at the door. For more info: http://www.yelp.com/events/hollywood-happily-ever-laughter
- NIGHTLIFE: One of the best dance parties in Los Angeles can be found at the Echoplex (1154 Glendale Blvd, Los Angeles, CA) every other Saturday night. Bootie LA is a truly unique dance experience. The DJ plays only mashups, there is a free photobooth for guests, and there is usually on-stage entertainment. On September 7, the first 100 people who walk through the door will receive a Michael Jackson mashups CD and DJs A Plus D and Shyboy will be spinning. Tickets are available at the door, but you can also prepurchase here: http://bootiemashup.com/la/ Doors open at 9pm.
If you want to stay in the know, please subscribe to me for weekly updates on what to do in Los Angeles.
If you have an event that you would like to have included in a future article, tweet me @teresalo_tweets.
If there is something I missed, let me know in the comment section below. Thanks!