Check out this week's calendar of fun and budget-friendly events to do in Los Angeles for the week of August 25-August 31, 2013.
Sunday August 25, 2013
- Team Trivia night at Los Feliz's Ye Rustic Inn (1831 N. Hillhurst Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90027). There is no cover to play and drinks at this neighborhood bar are cheap for Los Angeles. Trivia runs from 9 pm to 11 pm, and there are no reservations required. It's recommended to arrive 30 minutes to an hour before 9 pm so that you and your friends can reserve a seat.
Monday August 26, 2013
- Dine out for a great cause! HopeNet, a collaboration of Los Angeles area congregations to address hunger and homeless needs, is hosting its annual fundraiser The Taste of Larchmont. For more than 20 years, the Taste of Larchmont has featured delicious food tasting from exceptional Larchmont Village-area restaurants such as Larchmont Village Wine Spirits and Cheese, Kiku, Babycakes, and more. There will also be live music and a raffle of great prizes. The event is highly anticipated by the community and is very family-friendly. For more information, see the Yelp event page: http://www.yelp.com/events/los-angeles-taste-of-larchmont. Tickets may be purchased in advance on the HopeNet website for $40, and the event runs from 6 pm to 9 pm in Larchmont Village.
Tuesday August 27, 2013
- Social Finance (SoFi) wants to take you out to a ball game. Social Finance connects students and recent graduates with alumni and other community investors through school-specific student loan funds, and they are hosting SoFi Gameday with the Dodgers. All recent graduates (2008-2013) with student loans will get their tickets paid for by SoFi if you sign up here: http://sofigamedaydodgers130827-es2.eventbrite.com/?rank=112 Game starts at 7:15 pm. Ticket pick-up and welcome at Shortstop, on 1455 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026. Dodger Stadium is located at 1000 Elysian Park Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90012.
Wednesday August 28, 2013
- If you ever want to impress your friends, then you should try Buti Yoga at Core Club LA in Eagle Rock. In simplistic terms, Buti Yoga is a combination of yoga, dance, and twerking, and it's an hour-long, sweaty dance party that you have to try. On Wednesdays, Buti Yoga is offered at 7:15 pm. See Core Club LA's website for prices and reservation information: http://www.coreclubla.com
Thursday August 29, 2013
- The free Twilight Concerts at the Santa Monica Pier (100 Santa Monica Pier, Santa Monica, CA 90401) is a Westside tradition, and on Thursday August 29th, the music acts scheduled to play are Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue and Dustbowl Revival. KCRW DJ Aaron Byrd is also slated to appear. The show starts at 7 pm and is free to the public. For more information, see http://tcs.dola.com/event/2013/08/29/trombone-shorty-and-orleans-avenue
- Free comedy show with big names? Yes, please! Check out Flyover Comedy at The Hollywood Improv (8162 Melrose, Los Angeles, CA 90046.) Thursday's show will feature the popular comics Pete Holmes, Kumail Nanjiani, Josh Adam Meyers, and America's Got Talent's Taylor Williamson. In addition, there will be many other surprise guest comics as well. For free tickets, email FLYOVERCOMEDY@GMAIL.COM with your full name and how many tickets you'd like. Two item minimum. Show starts at 9:30 pm.
Friday August 30, 2013
- Friday, August 30, 2013 is the first day of the L.A. County Fair (1101 W. Mckinley Ave., Pomona, CA 91768), which is a family friendly event that has something for everyone. From carnival rides to concerts, from pig races to shopping, everyone will find something fun to do. For opening weekend, the L.A. County Fair offers admission specials. From 3-6 pm, the admission is $1. From 6 p.m. to midnight, adults pay $12; ages 6-12 pay $8. Gates open at 3 pm. To purchase tickets, see their website: http://www.lacountyfair.com/2013/index.asp
- Have you tried The Taste? Southern California's favorite food and wine festival returns, bringing together over 15,000 people for an amazing culinary weekend. Voted Southern California's #2 Food and Wine event by BizBash, 2013's edition of Los Angeles Times' The Taste will feature 5 unique events over 3 days at Paramount Pictures Studios (5555 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90038.) On Friday, August 30th, the event will begin at 7:30 pm and the festival runs until 11:30 pm. This night is 21+, and it will be hosted by the Los Angeles Times Editorial Food Team and all of the weekend's co-hosts. For more information, check out their website: http://events.latimes.com/taste/ Tickets range from $50-$175.
Saturday August 31, 2013
- 626 Night Market is Los Angeles' largest night market with Asian street foods, merchandise, beer and spirits, live art, movies, dancing, music, comedy, and more. It's a family friendly party that only the 626 can create. There is free parking at the venue (Santa Anita Park (Front Paddock Gardens) 285 W. Huntington Drive, Arcadia, CA 91007), and it runs from 4 pm to 1 am. Adult admission: $2 (4-6PM); $3 (after 6PM). Free for children 12 and younger.
- Before summer ends, you have to check out an outdoor movie. On Saturday, August 31st, children's classic, The Neverending Story, will play at Grand Park (210 N Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90012.) Grand Park partners with Street Food Cinema to bring food trucks, live music performances, and special guests. Guests are encouraged to bring picnic items, but alcohol and grilling is prohibited. The event begins at 5:30pm, and the movie will start at sundown. It is free to the public and family friendly. For more information, see their Yelp event: http://www.yelp.com/events/los-angeles-grand-parks-movies-in-the-park-the-neverending-story
If you want to stay in the know, please subscribe to me for weekly updates on what to do in Los Angeles.
If you have an event you'd like me to add to the list, tweet me @teresalo_tweets.
If there is something I missed, let me know in the comment section below. Thanks!
ARTICLE CORRECTION: The lineup for Flyover Comedy has been changed. Natasha Leggero will appear in place of Kumail Nanjiani.