From music festivals to movie screenings, Los Angeles is a hub of activity, and if you are in the know, you don't need to break the bank to have a great time. Below is a list of fun and affordable things-to-do for the week of August 18-24, 2013.
August 18, 2013 Sunday
- For a cheap family night, check out The Regency Theaters in Pasadena (1003 E Colorado Blvd, Pasadena, CA 91106.) A regular movie ticket price costs $3, and the concessions inside are just as budget-friendly. The interior of the theater has a vintage vibe, and the staff is friendly. Don't forget to bring cash as this theater does not accept credit cards. For movie times http://www.regencymovies.com/main.php?theaterId=8.
August 19, 2013 Monday
- The Everything Is Festival at The Cinefamily returns for ten jam-packed days of movies, music, art, found footage, and creative strangeness. On August 19th, guests can watch blockbuster Now You See Me as part of EIF & Doug Benson's Movie Interruption, and Doug and his friends (which in the past included Sarah Silverman and Zach Galifianakis) will provide hilarious commentary as the film unfolds. The event is $14 or free for members. For more information, see http://www.cinefamily.org/films/everything-is-festival-iv-the-dreamquest.
August 20, 2013 Tuesday
- Do you love fashion and television? Then visit Downtown LA's FIDM Museum and Gallery for its free exhibit 7th Annual Art of Television Costume Design. The gallery is open Tuesdays through Saturdays from 10am to 5pm, and the exhibit will run until October 19, 2013. This year's exhibit includes costumes from such shows as Game of Thrones, House of Cards, Downton Abbey, and Girls.
August 21, 2013 Wednesday
- Free workout in Marina del Rey's Burton Chace Park (13650 Mindango Way, Marina del Rey, CA 90292) every Wednesday. There are two sessions: 9am-10am and 11am-12pm, and equipment is provided. If you would like to reserve a spot, contact the instructor Tiffany at 310-305-9595.
- All-You-Can-Eat Pizza Night at Mohawk Bend (2141 W Sunset Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90026.) Mohawk Bend will be tapping some beers in anticipation of their collaboration with Los Angeles legend, Golden Road Brewing. For AYCE Pizza Night, they will be serving for new pizzas as well as other menu favorites for only $15.95. Reservations are reqiured. Call Mohawk Bend 213-483-2337.
August 22, 2013 Thursday
- Free event! On August 22, 2013 Silver Lake Picture Show presents "To Wong Foo." The SLPS celebrates classic and contemporary films with a free bi-monthly outdoor screening at Silver Lake's new Sunset Triangle Plaza. For more information and screen listings, see their website http://silverlakepictureshow.com.
August 23, 2013 Friday
- Comedian Maria Bamford will be performing at the Improv (8162 Melrose Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90046) on Friday August 23. Tickets can be purchased here for $20. In addition to stealing the show as Debris on season four of Arrested Development, she has appeared on Late Night with Conan O’Brien, The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, The Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn and Jimmy Kimmel Live.
August 24, 2013 Saturday
- Are you looking to add a new puppy to your family? Then check out Bark & Co Pup Up Space (8207 W. 3rd, Los Angeles, CA 90048.) This adoption fair will take place on Saturday and Sunday. Please see their website for more information about their company and about owning a dog in Los Angeles.
- Eat See Hear is Los Angeles' premiere outdoor movie, food truck, and live music event series. Tonight, August 24th, the event will be held at Los Angeles Trade Tech College, Downtown, and the film screening will be the cult classic, "The Warriors." Doors open at 5:30pm, Musical act SO MANY WIZARDS will perform at 7pm, and the movie will screen at 8:30pm. Tickets are $15/per person if you are doing the drive-in option, and if you are doing general admission/picnic style, tickets are $10/adv. Please see the website www.eatseehear.com to get your tickets and for more information.