Awhile ago, I posted an article about a few of the things that patrons do that annoy bartenders (Things that irritate your bartender), but now I feel it’s only fair to follow up with a few items that bartenders do that annoy their guests. Here is my short list of just a few of the things that annoy bar guests when they visit a bar.
1. Please don’t ignore us – We know that it gets busy, and that you have lots of things to do behind that bar, however, when it’s slowed down, or you obviously have few things to do, please spend some time checking on us, or even talking to us. That is probably why we are sitting here paying more for drinks than what we would at home, making them ourselves.
2. Please clean up – Again, we understand that it’s busy, but a clean bar area is essential if you want us to be there.
3. Tell us about the specials – When it’s happy hour, let us know! If there’s a drink special for the evening, please share! Keeping us in the dark about deals or specials makes us really irritated later if we find out we missed out on something.
4. No stupid names – Please, do not call me “boss”, “champ”, “buddy” or any other stupid little names, just to try to be friendly. If you want to be polite, just ask my name.
5. Know my name – If I visit your bar more than a couple of times a week, please get to know me, my name, and maybe even my usual drink, if it’s a standard trend. Familiarity makes me want to come in more, because I know that I’m known and appreciated at a bar, so I’m probably willing to spend more time and money there.
So, hopefully you bartenders out there will at least keep some of these items in mind, to help improve the guest – bartender relationship, and make the encounters better for both you, and for the guest.