Last week Valiant Comics announced a brand new prestige formatted series “The Valiant” that will launch in December 2014. The new series heralds the arrival of writer Jeff Lemire (“Green Arrow”) to the Valiant Comics Universe. Lemire will be joined on the series by Valiant veteran Matt Kindt (“Rai,” “Unity”) and Eisner Award winning artist Paolo Rivera (“Daredevil”). This announcement created a lot of buzz for Valiant and the publisher is celebrating with free comics.
“The Valiant” is a four issue limited series that will be entirely self-contained and will spotlight Valiant heroes Bloodshot, Eternal Warrior, Geomancer and a whole cast of other heroes and villains from Valiant. The official pitch for the series is this:
The Eternal Warrior has protected the Earth for more than 10,000 years. A master of countless weapons and long forgotten martial arts, he is guided by the Geomancers – those who speak for the Earth. During his long watch, the Eternal Warrior has failed three times. Each time, the Geomancer was killed…and a new dark age for humanity began. Each time, he was unable to stop The Immortal Enemy – a monstrous force of nature. A civilization killer. A horror that appears differently each time it arrives…and whose seemingly only purpose is to bring disorder and darkness to the world. Now, the time has come for The Immortal Enemy to return once more. But, this time, the Eternal Warrior will be ready. This time, he has a force greater than any single warrior. This time, he has…THE VALIANT.
In their excitement of the new series, and since December is so far away, Valiant Comics announced that all of the first issues to their series are now free to download through comiXology.com until July 31. Nine digital comics for free through the industry’s leading provider of digital content. Read the first comic in the new Valiant Universe in “X-O Manowar” #1 all the way to their newest sensation in “Rai” #1.
See what all the fuss is about by reading comics from some of the top creators making comics today. Downlaod them as a whole, put them on your tablet and binge read these books:
• ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #1 by Fred Van Lente & Clayton Henry It's history in the breaking! Eighteen-year-old adventurer Obadiah Archer and the immortal miscreant currently called Armstrong will have to work together if modern civilization is to stand any chance of surviving a centuries-old conspiracy that stretches from the catacombs beneath Wall Street to the heights of the Himalayas!
• BLOODSHOT #1 by Duane Swierczynski & Manuel Garcia Heroes aren't born…they're built. Brought back from the dead and infused with cutting-edge nanotechnology, the walking weapon of mass destruction now known as Bloodshot has escaped his handlers at Project Rising Spirit and vowed to bring war down up his masters…but first he'll have to figure out where the programming ends and the real "him" begins.
• ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 by Greg Pak & Trevor Hairsine Soldier. Guardian. Warrior. Legend. Across ten millennia and a thousand battlefields, Gilad Anni-Padda has traversed the darkest, most mysterious corners of history. But the horror and bloodshed of constant warfare has finally taken its toll on the man who vowed to serve the Earth as its Eternal Warrior…and soon his oath will bring an ancient war roaring down on modern day.
• HARBINGER #1 by Joshua Dysart & Khari Evans Read minds. Bend steel. Break all the rules. Runaway teenager Peter Stanchek is on a dangerous path. Skipping across the country in a desperate attempt to stay one step ahead of the authorities, Peter is quickly realizing that he’s a telekinetically powered “harbinger” with the potential to reshape the course of human history. His first lesson? All power comes with a price.
• QUANTUM AND WOODY #1 by James Asmus & Tom Fowler KLANG! Once upon a time, Eric and Woody Henderson were inseparable. Adopted brothers. Best friends. Brilliant minds. Years later, they are estranged siblings, petty rivals, and washed-up failures. But when their father’s murder leads them into the throes of a life-altering scientific accident, Eric and Woody will find themselves with a whole new purpose – and a perfectly legitimate reason to wear costumes and fight crime.
• RAI #1 by Matt Kindt & Clayton Crain Japan in the 41st century! The year is 4001 A.D. – led by the artificial intelligence called “Father,” the island nation of Japan has expanded out of the Pacific and into geosynchronous orbit with the ravaged Earth below. With billions to feed and protect, it has fallen to one solitary guardian to enforce the law of Father’s empire – the mysterious folk hero known as Rai.
• SHADOWMAN #1 by Justin Jordan & Patrick Zircher There are a million dreams in the Big Easy. But now its worst nightmare is about to come true. As the forces of darkness prepare to claim New Orleans as their own, Jack Boniface must accept the legacy he was born to uphold. As Shadowman, Jack is about to become the only thing that stands between his city and an army of unspeakable monstrosities from beyond the night.
• UNITY #1 by Matt Kindt & Doug Braithwaite The world’s most dangerous man, Toyo Harada, has been struck by the one thing he never thought possible – fear. Halfway across the globe, a new power threatens to topple modern civilization and, to preempt the cataclysm that is to come, Harada will unite the most lethal, most volatile, most unforgiving team the world has ever known – UNITY. Their mission: defeat the warrior king armed with the universe’s most powerful weapon. Kill X-O Manowar!
• X-O MANOWAR #1 by Robert Venditti & Cary Nord Born into battle, Aric of Dacia – heir to the throne of the Visigoth people – has never known peace. After a brutal encounter with a mysterious enemy known as The Vine leaves him a prisoner on an alien world, the only hope Aric has of returning to his family and saving them from slavery is to seize armored suit capable of incalculable destruction and become X-O Manowar!