By and large, kettlebell training is one of the best workout regimens that you can perform at home. Kettlebells are not cheap, but the benefits of training with kettlebells range from serious strength development, to cardiovascular endurance, to dramatic fat loss.
The turkish get-up
Turkish get-ups are an extremely efficient and beneficial exercise because they work out the entire body. Few exercises impact the body in its entirety like the turkish get-up. Here are the steps:
- Lie flat on your back with the kettlebell at your side, about shoulder-high, legs extended.
- Grip the handle with your palm facing you and press the kettlebell upward, like a bench press.
- Roll over to your opposite side and prop yourself up on your elbow.
- Plant your hand on the ground while simultaneously bringing the leg on that side in.
- Keeping the kettlebell above your head, push off with your hand and leg and bring the other leg in, and stand fully erect.
- Lower yourself back down into your original position in the exact opposite order of movements.
Perform 10 reps on each side, for three to five sets.
Kettlebell training has become rather popular in the last few years, partially because of its brutal effectiveness, and partially because it can be performed at home and outdoors. It is reported to have been developed by the Russian military.
While you can find lots of information on kettlebell training online through experts like Pavel Tsatsouline and Mike Mahler, there are also resources here in town, such as the personal trainers at Grass Iron.