It's day 8 of The Twelve Days of Christmas Cookies, and today's recipe will satisfy the cookie monsters at your house in a jiffy. Snickerdoodles are chewy, crispy little cinnamon-sugar bites of goodness that will be the star of your Christmas cookie tray this year. They take some effort to make because you have to roll them into balls and then in cinnamon-sugar, but the results are so worth the effort!
1 cup butter (this equals 2 sticks)
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 3/4 cups flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar (important-don't leave this out)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
Cinnamon sugar (see recipe below)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together in a large bowl. Add eggs and mix until combined.
3. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (except cinnamon sugar) and add gradually to sugar/butter mixture. Mix until all ingredients combined.
4. Cover bowl with plastic and chill dough in refrigerator for at least one hour.
5. Form dough into 1" balls (one tbsp. dough should be about right). Roll each ball in cinnamon sugar.
6. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 8 - 10 minutes until lightly brown.
7. Remove immediately from cookie sheet and cool on rack.
To make cinnamon sugar: Combine 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar with 1 teaspoon cinnamon.