It's day 5 of the Twelve Days of Cookies, and we have another great cookie recipe for your Christmas cookie tray. Today we celebrate another yummy example of that classic combination- chocolate and peanut butter! Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies are the best of both worlds if you're a fan of chocolate and peanut butter, because these crispy, peanutty delights are topped with a single chocolate kiss. Everyone loves Peanut Butter Blossoms, and they're lots of fun to eat (bet you pull off the chocolate kiss and eat that first!).
Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies
1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
54 Hershey's milk chocolate kisses
1. In a large mixing bowl beat the shortening and peanut butter with an electric mixer on medium speed 30 seconds.
2. Add the 1/2 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of bowl.
3. Beat in egg, milk, and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour.
4. Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll the balls in the 1/4 cup granulated sugar.
5. Place 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree F oven 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are firm and bottoms are lightly browned.
6. Immediately press a chocolate kiss into each cookie's center. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool.