1. Leisure
  2. Food & Drink
  3. Food & Recipes

The Trouble with Gluten-Free Travel.

The trouble with gluten free travel is just about everything.  If you are newly-diagnosed as a person with celiac disease, or you are gluten intolerant, or you just want to stop eating wheat "just 'cause", let me tell you a dirty little secret about the gluten-free lifestyle:  gluten-free travel is not easy.  It's not impossible, but let's just say that your choices are somewhat limited.  To wit:  AIRPORTS!!  I would like to ask you what you think about the following idea:  I am calling it "Gluten Free to Go".  It would be a small kiosk style store in major airports where the gluten sensitive could pick up really good GF food to go.   I am talking sandwiches on really good gluten free bread (made by me, of course), and pasta dishes, too!   Is this an idea whose time has come?  There is almost nothing that we can eat in airports.  I can't tell you how many salads I have eaten, mainly greens with some cheese and tomatoes, while traveling.  I think we are due for a change.

Now I realize that people who are GF usually take their time to plan in advance when it comes to public transportation, but think of all the people who travel all the time for business, are constantly in airports, and have almost no choice of things to eat.  I find myself constantly searching airports for something to eat.  Thank goodness for that cute place in Terminal E at Intercontinental airport, Le Petit Bistro.  But when my flight is not at Terminal E, I've got problems.  Please let me know what you think of this idea, and let me know of other good airport GF options, and please visit my website at www.glutenfreehouston.com  Our breads are now available in a variety of stores around the Houston area, including Hubbell and Hudson in The Woodlands, and the Whole Foods store on Bellaire Blvd.

Comments

• barbslb 4 years ago

I think it's a fantastic idea. Maybe you could also include items that are cf as well as alot of gf eaters are also dairy free.

• Anja 4 years ago

Absolutely Randi, agreed! GF sandwiches, and GF pasta salads would be great, as well as BOTH GF AND vegetarian or fish options instead of chicken/meat!

• TXJesse 4 years ago

I only fly when forced to do so and my New Year's gift to myself is to sell my beautiful second home in Tucson,fly home and never get on a plane again. 25 years I have flown about 80 round trips Houston/Tucson. And I did have a home in London and went three times a year. I will never go to Europe or any country again unless it is to move there! And in my 40 years of air travel, I knew not to eat in airports! I take my own food because I cannot eat gluten. What few times I had to eat in an airport, I went to a deli counter and ordered baked turkey and cheese sandwich without bread wrapped in lettuce. Lettuce wraps are available in every airpot I have ever been in. I have seen others do this while I am sitting in the airport cafe waiting for a late Continental flight.So I have stopped eating all bread,gluten free included. Gluten free bread is rice flour, potato and tapioca. How many carbs in a slice? More carbs than I eat in a day. And bread is definitely NOT healthy. It's JUNK food.

• momofceliackid 4 years ago

I think it is also a great idea - my child who is 4 has celiac and to travel with the family is a pain. There is nothing "special" for her in airports when we travel. The whole family suffers as her two older sibilings can eat anything - it is not fair that they can have a cheeseburger/fries and she sits with a salad.

• TXtransplant 4 years ago

Thanks for the great idea. I am always starving in airports, but I don't always want an entire meal, as I am a rather cranky traveler. For me, the real bonus would be a gluten-free "snack" of some kind, small and nutritious, but not necessarily "filling". These are practically non-existent unless I prepare them at home for myself before I travel, and I admit to some laziness in this department. And, can I say, I would sometimes love a gluten-free cookie, and try finding that in an airport!

• Kelley 4 years ago

I agree with TXtransplant. Smaller servings and snacks. I've learned to eat before I get to the airport and bring my own snacks (or sandwich). But in a pinch - it's nice to have another option. I say start small. Otherwise people want something fresh. I've been lucky to find a couple of restaurants in airports that cater to my diet - but they aren't cheap. Even before I changed my diet the idea of eating a boxed meal turned my stomach and was truly a last resort. However, I think having small snacks - chips, cookies, muffins*, etc would be a great idea. I do miss grabbing a cafe or tea and a muffin on a morning flight.

• Colleen 4 years ago

I think a gluten free kiosk at the airports would be great! I would love to be able to get a sandwich to eat there or take on the plane, since we always have to throw away the "yummy" sandwiches they serve on the planes. Small snacks would be great too. I always have to bring food to eat on both flights (going and returning) and food to have while on my trip, so I would appreciate being able to purchase some gluten free food at the airports. Keep up the good work and good luck with your ideas!

Leisure

• Hyundai Sonata
    The 2015 Hyundai Sonata is one amazing car, has terrific value and astonishing design
    Camera
    13 Photos
  • Asparagus and shrimp stir-fry
    Asparagus and shrimp: Try this quick and really tasty stir-fry
    Camera
    8 Photos
  • Pauley Perrette
    Hair color sends Pauley Perrette from NCIS to the emergency room
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Alternative medicine
    Alternative medicine: Remedies to make the bugs in your body go away for good
    Camera
    7 Photos
  • Smart tray
    Need more counter space in the bathroom? Try the Smart Tray
    Camera
    5 Photos
  • Wazee Supper Club
    Wazee Supper Club's summer menu is here to help you beat the summer heat
    Camera