Reading audience: Medical students
The top things you need to know about acute respiratory distress syndrome.
1. pathophysiology (including its effect on intrapulmonary shunting)
2. various medical conditions that can cause ARDS (eg. sepsis, trauma),
3. characteristic ABG values, PaO2/FiO2 ratio
4. imaging findings on chest Xray
5. the importance of pulmonary capillary wedge pressure (PCWP) in ruling out other causes
6. the ARDSNet protocol, including best ventilator settings (tidal volume, PEEP, plateau pressure, CO2, PaO2, pH)
7. the mortality associated with this condition.
Here are some helpful resources to help you get familiar with ARDS.
1. Your medical school resources
2. BRS pathology
3. BRS physiology
4. eMedicine .
5. UpToDate .
6. Wikipedia .
7. Youtube .
Let me know if you have any questions about ARDS.