Reading audience: medical students
For the USMLE exams, you will need to know a few things about hyperparathyroidism.
1. The three types of hyperparathyroidism
2. Which type of hyperparathyroidism is the most common cause of hypercalcemia
3. Which multiple endocrine neoplasia (MEN) syndromes are associated with hyperparathyroidism
4. The acid/base abnormality found in primary hyperparathyroidism
5. The oncogene associated with hyperparathyroidism
6. The most common cause of hyperparathyroidism
7. The laboratory findings associated with hyperparathyroidism
8. The pathognomonic finding in hyperparathyroidism
9. The symptoms associated with hyperparathyroidism
10. The pathophysiology, workup, diagnosis and treatment of primary, secondary, and tertiary hyperparathyroidism
It is also important to know the anatomy of the parathyroid gland, and the physiology of calcium homeostasis, vitamin D, and parathyroid hormone.
Hyperparathyroidism review for the USMLE Step 1 can be done using these resources or others.
1. BRS Pathology
2. Pocket Medicine
3. eMedicine .
4. UpToDate .
5. Wikipedia .
6. YouTube .