The Desert Botanical Garden’s blockbuster, Chihuly in the Garden, has just over one month left until it closes on May 18, 2014. A record number of visitors to the Desert Botanical Garden have experienced Dale Chihuly’s stunning exhibition of his extraordinary works of art as well as the Garden’s beautiful plant collection.
Here are here are 10 ideas for enhancing your Chihuly in the Garden experience:
1. Sunrise Tai Chi – Tuesdays through April 29th - $18 a session – visit dbg.org/adultclasses to register.
2. Breakfast at Gertrude’s – enjoy a frittata or banana bread French toast at the Garden’s sit-down restaurant before you stroll the Garden. Garden admission is required to stroll. Information and reservations at gertrudesrestaurant.net.
3. Birdwatching – the birds are in residence in the Garden and you can see them on your own or as part of our Monday morning birdwatching tour – tours leave from admissions at 8 a.m. in April and 7 a.m. in May.
4. The Spring Butterfly Exhibit continues through Mother’s Day, May 11th. Hundreds of North American Butterflies surround you in this face-to-face experience. Free for members or $3.50 with paid Garden admission.
5. Take a walk on the Harriet K. Maxwell Desert Wildflower Trail – it’s always a good wildflower year on this trail that is carefully planted, cultivated and irrigated for your enjoyment.
6. The cactus are in bloom! From the tallest cardon to the tiniest ladyfinger we have blooms in vibrant pink, red, orange and more!
7. Take a break at the Patio Café on beautiful Ullman Terrace and re-energize yourself with a grab-and-go snack, sandwich or salad.
8. Afternoon glass of wine (or beer) – We open a bar in our entry garden every day at noon.
9. Sundown Yoga – Wednesdays through April 30th - $18 a session – visit dbg.org/adultclasses to register.
10. Weekend date nights at either a Music in the Garden concert on Friday nights or Chihily After Dark – a special 8 p.m. – midnight session to see Chihuly in the Garden on Fridays and Saturdays – information at dbg.org.
Dale Chihuly is credited with revolutionizing the Studio Glass movement and elevating the perception of the glass medium from the realm of craft to fine art. He is renowned for his ambitious architectural installations around the world, in historic cities, museums and gardens. Chihuly’s work is included in more than 200 museum collections worldwide including the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Smithsonian American Art Museum and the Corning Museum of Glass. Major exhibitions include Chihuly Over Venice (1995-96), Chihuly in the Light of Jerusalem (1999), Garden Cycle (2001–12), de Young Museum in San Francisco (2008), the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston (2011) and Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond (2012). Chihuly Garden and Glass opened at Seattle Center in 2012.
Members enjoy unlimited Garden admission based on their level of membership. Members are encouraged to reserve tickets online or by phone at 480-481-8188.
Adults $22, Seniors $20, Students (12 -1 8 with and college with ID) $12, Children (3 -12) $10, Children under 3 admitted free of charge. Tickets may be purchased online or by phone at 480-481-8188.
Advance reservation or purchase recommended for both members and non-members. Limited walk-up tickets may be available. For reduced group rates call: 480-481-8104.