During the four years since The Stars of New York Dance organized their first competition, a host of community leaders have stepped in to partner in dance, sponsorship and enthusiastic support. Read the reasons why some community leaders support and compete in this worthy and exciting dance competition that raises dance scholarship funds for children from low-income communities.
2013 NY DANCING STARS:
- Carlo Scissura, President/ CEO of The Brooklyn Chamber Of Commerce says, "I am thrilled to be taking part in the 2013 Stars of New York Dance, and am both proud and excited to be following in the footsteps of other great Brooklynites who have participated. This is a wonderful program that helps kids from all over the borough channel their creative energy in a positive way. As a Bensonhurst boy, I will channel my inner John Travolta and do my best 'Saturday Night Fever' impression."
- Elwanda Young, SVP/COO of United Way of New York City stated, "United Way of New York City (UWNYC) has sponsored The Stars of New York Dance for the past four years because we believe that dance can transform lives. The scholarships that this annual event contributes provide critical support to so many young people in our city for whom a dance education would otherwise be beyond their reach. Dance challenges the mind, body and creative spirit. This year, I'm dancing to take me out of my comfort zone, hoping that others may be encouraged to step out of their comfort zones in support of causes that are so important to them."
- Danny Simmons, Founder/ VP of Rush Philanthropic Arts Foundation, feels that "The Stars of New York Dance is more than a fabulous event. It's an ongoing program that teaches kids discipline, cooperation and determination. Through the 'Stars' dance program, these young people unleash their imaginations and find the freedom within themselves to reach and unlock unlimited potential."
- “The Stars of New York Dance are once again ‘in step’ with the ‘movers and shakers’ of Brooklyn! This year’s stars, including my former chief of staff Carlo Scissura, who will surely be celebrated as the ‘Sicilian Stallion’ following his performance, will all be swinging their hips and tapping their toes for the best of causes: the enrichment of our young people in need. It is duly fitting that the evening will honor Danny Simmons, a Brooklynite who has been widely celebrated for his artistic and philanthropic contributions. Best of luck to all this year’s competitors and remember: when our kids win, everybody wins!” said Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz.
- “BAM is thrilled that the Stars of New York Dance will acknowledge the incredible accomplishments and commitment to youth and community of our Board member Danny Simmons. Danny has been our unwavering supporter of arts education and a friend to all of Brooklyn’s cultural institutions,” said BAM President Karen Brooks Hopkins.
- MetroPlus Health Plan
- Anheuser-Busch Stella Artois
- Our Time Press Newspaper
- Profiles 88 Magazine
You can also become a supporter by purchasing a ticket to this annual event or by donating to the organization. For more information, contact event Founder/Executive Producer Cheryl Todmann at 917-623-7299 or firstname.lastname@example.org.