Another excerpt from my new book What Your Atheist Professor Doesn't Know (But Should):
According to Doug Axe of Oxford University, the odds against just a minimal set of the required proteins alone to create simplest conceivable cell is 1 in 10 to the 41,000th power. So in addition to the improbabilities calculated in the last chapter, we can add an additional layer. The argument would look something like this:
Biological "Software" (Genetic Information) Argument
1. The odds of the genetic information required to make the proteins for a minimally complex single-celled creature arising by chance are 1 in 10 to the 41,000th power.
2. According to probability theorists, anything with lower odds than 1 in 10 to the 50th power is mathematically impossible.
3. Therefore, a single-celled creature arising by chance is mathematically impossible.
Our collective improbability is now at least 1 in 10 to the 364,040,866th power. Suffice it to say that it takes more faith to believe this vast array of necessary conditions could coincidentally occur by chance than to believe in a transcendent Creator who has orchestrated it.
Modern science is now consistently revealing new, mind-boggling features of the cellular world on a surprisingly regular basis. The “nanotechnology” that we observe functioning at this incredibly tiny level is overshadowed only by the immense complexity of the language and encoding which orchestrates it, and is built into it. I’ll let Dr. Don E. Johnson sum it up:
Information is something that is useful that you can use to make predictions that have meaning, and the only way to get that is by intelligence. There is absolutely no way that ever has been shown to produce information other than by intelligence. And therefore, you have life, you have the complexity of the DNA structure and the amount of information that it contains, which is something that boggles very intelligent people. It makes absolutely zero sense to say it happened by chance. Things had to have been intelligently designed, they could not have happened by chance.’ (Scienceintegrity.net. Dr. Don E. Johnson has two earned PhD’s; one in Chemistry and one in Computer Science and Information Theory).
Forgive me for being redundant, but this is probably a good time to flash back on what we learned in the last chapter (because it applies to this chapter as well) - your body has literally hundreds of quadrillions of computers in it, some operating with triple layers of encryption! Also:
• the genetic system IS a pre-existing operating system;
• the specific genetic program (genome) is an application;
• the native language has a codon-based encryption system;
• the codes are read by enzyme computers with their own operating system;
• each enzyme’s output is to another operating system in a ribosome;
• codes are decrypted and output to tRNA computers;
• each codon-specified amino acid is transported to a protein construction site; and
• in each cell, there are multiple operating systems, multiple programming languages, encoding/decoding hardware and software, specialized communications systems, error detection/correction systems, specialized input/output for organelle control and feedback, and a variety of specialized “devices” to accomplish the tasks of life. (Dr. Donald E. Johnson – who has earned PhD’s in Chemistry and Computer Science -- via Uncommon Descent).