Although exercise is important for a healthy lifestyle, nutrition and diet are equally important in maintaining bone health. Calcium and magnesium are both important food sources to build strong, healthy bones.
Bone Builder Smoothie
Several foods (wheat bran, cashews, spinach, almonds, cacao) are good sources of magnesium, which like calcium, is stored in bone and contributes to skeletal strength.
Magnesium is also a supporter of muscular and immune functions, it helps the body metabolizes, and regulates blood pressure.
By extracting healthy foods into a nutritious smoothie, they are turned into a maximum absorption food source for the body!
Directions for a Bone Builder Smoothie:
Add the following ingredients, in the order provided, to your blender or extractor.
Blend to desired consistency:
- 1 banana
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup wheat bran
- 2 cups kale
- 2 Tbls raw cacao
- 10 cashews
- 1 cup water or coconut water
- 4-5 ice-cubes (optional)
• Add additional water to achieve desired consistency.
• Dark, leafy green vegetables are high in fiber; they are an excellent source for the relief of constipation or hemorrhoids.
• CAUTION: If you are experiencing an agitated digestive system, the fiber content in whole fruits and vegetables may add further stress. However, by extracting plant foods it can aid in replenishing nutrients lost in diarrhea while making it easier for your body to break down the food sources and absorb them quickly.
• For diabetic or weight issues, ingesting more high fiber fruits, vegetables, and legumes (leafy greens, cabbage, berries, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, apples, and beans) help combat free radicals.
• Soluble fiber (once in the intestines) slows the absorption of sugars in the blood – allowing the body to feel full and limiting insulin spikes.
• Always consult your physician if you have special diet or health related issues.
For additional information and local places to shop for healthy foods, click on any of the following links:
From my home to yours: another favorite recipe - enjoyed with nutrition in mind.