It’s January. Watching the thermometer finally creep to a double-digit temp is cause for celebration. Meanwhile, the Detroit theater scene doesn’t skip a beat. It can only mean one thing – it's time for (trumpet run) The Ringwald Theatre’s 4th annual Gay Play Series (GPS).
The official call for submissions has been sounded. Per tradition, the GPS festival seeks new, original one-act plays to be performed at the Detroit-area’s only LGBT short play festival. The goal – to provide early-career writers the opportunity to see their work produced and gain some much needed exposure.
Last year’s festival expanded in scope and received 175 entries from around the world. From the plays submitted, 11 were produced and Kristian O’Hare’s “Fanny Packs & Hanky Codes” came out victorious after the audience vote.
Ringwald Artistic Director Joe Bailey said, “It’s so gratifying to be prepping the GPS festival for the fourth year! This year’s festival is shaping up to be a lot of fun with some great things planned. And, keep your eyes peeled for an exciting announcement coming soon about the past years’ winning plays!”
The plays submitted should have a performance time of 30 minutes or less and deal directly with issues or characters that are identified as gay/lesbian/transgender, or that contain a gay sensibility. From the initial submission pool, a final line up will be chosen by a panel of judges to be performed at The Ringwald Theatre in June, 2013. From those performed, an audience poll will be conducted to select one script that will receive a full production at The Ringwald Theatre.
All submissions must be submitted electronically to: Submissions@TheRingwald.com
- The submitted script must be the script proposed for presentation, with no major alterations necessary.
- Only one entry per playwright will be accepted.
- Please provide an approximate running time and a one sentence synopsis in the body of the email.
- Neither fax nor paper submissions will be accepted.
- Submission materials will not be returned.
- The deadline for submissions is March 16, 2013.
- The final line-up will be announced in May, 2013.