So, you take little chicken, some spices and the sweetness of Kahlua. You play around with the ingredients in a hot pan and within a few minutes you have something your mouth will not soon forget. This is called cooking. This isn't re-hashing some boring old crap from some useless cookbook. This isn't copying some useless dribble from the Food Network (also known among Chef's as the Fraud Network). This is called having fun and that should be what cooking is all about.
This is a simple dish to prepare and takes only a few minutes to fix, which is important because when you get hungry, you want to eat now... like right now! By-the-way, this is also a rather inexpensive dish to prepare and actually quite healthy. You can serve it with rice, pasta or be as simple as me and serve it with some steamed vegetables.
Ingredients needed to make Spicy Kahlua Chicken (serves 2 or one hungry Chef):
- 4 chicken thighs, skinned and boned
- 2 Tbs. corn oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 tsp. chili oil
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 cup Kahlua
- Slice the chicken thighs into thin strips.
- In a medium saute pan or skillet, heat the corn oil (do not use olive oil) over medium high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook about 5 minutes.
- Into the pan add the garlic, shallots, chili oil and chili powder. Stir to combine and cook about 5 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Kahlua.
- Place the pan back on the heat and cook about 3 minutes (the Kahlua will glaze the chicken).
- Spoon onto serving plates and serve.
The new cookbook from Chef Larry Edwards is now available from Amazon.com and bookstores worldwide. One of the most anticipated cookbooks of the year, "Edwardian Cooking: Inspired by Downton Abbey's Elegant Meals."