Skip to main content
  1. News
  2. Top News

The reason behind director Edgar Wright leaving 'Ant-Man'

See also

It is never easy to bring a comic book hero to life on the big screen. Most comics turned film normally go through development hell, a path that will more than likely end up with the project being canned before the first draft ever leaves the table. Marvel movies have had their fair share in the past trying to bring their characters to life from the page to the big screen.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is one of the rare success stories. After a huge string of hits like the blockbuster "The Avengers," Marvel is planning to expand it's universe into bigger and better areas. Now one key character who’s involved with the Avengers in the comics, Ant-Man, has hit a pretty huge speed bump on his way to theaters. Last week (or earlier this week?) Ant-Man director (and the biggest advocate for Hank Pym's voyage to big screen), Edgar Wright, dropped out of the project he had nursed for nearly a decade. The departure is causing big issues for the production, and some are even speculating that they film might not make it's original July 2015 release date.

Today, Superhero Hype reports the reason behind director Edgar Wright's departure from the upcoming “Ant-Man” film starring Paul Rudd and Michael Douglas. Wright had been attached to the big screen adaptation since 2006, but this past Friday the pair said in a statement that the split was due to "differences in their vision of the film."

According to sources reported on the Hollywood Reporter, “Ant-Man” originally was set to begin shooting on June 2. The production had to be put on hiatus because Marvel’s president Kevin Feige ordered revisions of the script that was co-written by Wright and Joe Cornish. Wright had been willing to make revisions of the film during the early development process, but some of the new rewrites had taken place without any of his input. When Wright received the new version of the story from Marvel, he walked away from the film. There must have been some drastic changes to Wright's intended vision for the film to cause him to quit outright.

In 2013, Feige told MTV that Wright's vision of the character "is the only reason we're making the movie." So what’s with the bitter farewell? Marvel Studios are very particular in how they want to present their characters, but they wouldn’t mind taking fresh ideas to bring new life for the properties. Since Marvel is now owned by Disney… Maybe they wanted to make it a musical and Wright didn’t want any part of it.

Advertisement

News

  •  Day 17
    Israel continues their ravaging bombardment on Gaza as the conflict wages on
    Video
    Video
  • MH17 victims arrive home
    40 bodies of the MH17 plane crash return to a somber homecoming in Holland
    Top News
  • Military advisers to Ukraine
    President Obama announces the deployment of military advisers to Ukraine
    Politics
  • Bubonic plague in China
    A bubonic plague outbreak in Yumen prompts China to quarantine the city
    World News
  • Air Algierie disappearance
    A flight headed from Burkina Faso to Algeria disappears from radar over Mali
    Headlines
  • Windows Phone training portal
    Microsoft launches Windows Phone training portal in attempt to woo consumers
    Tech