The remaining eleven paladins returned this evening to The Quest, a show format that is surprisingly familiar -- the elimination has a lot in common with King of the Geeks, in which the worst contestants are compete against each other, voted off by their companions, and the loser is banished. The heroes are given an audience with Queen Raliax XXIIII, Protector of Saenctum. This should be good...
A conversation between Sir Ansgar and the Vizier centers on the paladins' accommodations (really? that's what we're worried about?). Fortunately the conversation is interrupted by a badly beaten messenger who delivers word from the front -- things aren't going well.
What's interesting about this show is that it encourages role-play, but none of the contestants ever bother. They often stand around mute, prompting lead NPC Sir Ansgar to ask a question twice so they know they should actually answer. Reality show vs. live action role-playing is turning out to be a bit confusing for the contestants.
Our paladins begin practicing on horses. Then Leticia actually manages to drop her Sunspear piece in the field. After being called out for her stupidity, Ansgar outline the next contest: archery, spear throwing, jousting, and war hammer (-ing?). Three arrows are fired at up to 50 points each on a target, throwing a spear at a target with a maximum of 55 points, a lance against a target worth 15 points, and a warhammer hitting a skull worth 15 points. Here's how they net out:
- Shondo: 183 points
- Jasmine: 91 points
- Andrew: 91 points
- Unknown: 86 points
- Leticia: 83 points
- Unknown: 80 points
- Adria: 56 points
- Bonnie: 40 points
- Jim: 35 points
- Ashley: 32 points
- Christian: 30 points
Shondo wins the Mark of Dexterity, not surprising given he is a professional mixed martial arts champion. Jim, Ashley, and Christian have to duke it out to determine who goes home. There are five horseshoes in a blacksmith's fire that must be taken out, hammered, cooled, and affixed to a wheel. Whoever affixes the most horseshoes gets to stay. Jim wins, so that leaves Ashley vs. Christian. Ashley gets voted off by just one vote...and then the Queen is poisoned! Paladins save the queen!
Medium humanoid (human), lawful good
- Armor Class 13 (padded armor + dexterity + defensive style)
- Hit Points 18
- Speed 30 ft.
STR 12(+1) DEX 13(+1) CON 16(+3) INT 17(+3) WIS 16(+3) CHA 14(+2)
- Saving Throws Str +1, Con +5, Int +3, Wis +3, Cha +4
- Skills Acrobatics +1, Animal Handling +5, Arcana +3, Athletics +1, Deception +2, History +5, Insight +5, Intimidation +2, Investigate +3, Medicine +3, Nature +3, Perception +3, Performance +2, Religion +3, Search +3, Sleight of Hand +1, Stealth +1, Survival +3
- Senses passive Perception 13
- Languages Common
- Challenge 2 (200 XP)
- Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 6 (1d8+1) slashing damage.
- Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +3 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d6+1) piercing damage.
- Divine Sense. Use an action to detect holy / unholy things within 50 feet.
- Lay on Hands. Pool of hit points equal to 5 x paladin level, to restore hp, cure disease or neutralize poison