This evening The Quest debuted, a reality show by the executive producer of "The Lord of the Rings" and the creators and producers of "The Amazing Race." It's essentially a Live Action Role-Playing (LARP) reality show:
Our story begins in the most unlikely of places -- in a world far from Everealm where for most life is chaotic and passes too quickly for imagination, where epic adventures and dark magic exist only in books and lore, but here 12 strangers go about their daily lives and do believe that these imaginary places exist. Their journey begins when a message arrives: "Paladin, the fates beckon you to save Everalm from the dark power known as Veralox. A true hero lies inside of you. Your time is now."
These 12 paladins travel great distances and deep underground. Here's a few of our paladins:
- Lina: A school counselor from Delran, NJ
- Andrew: A personal trainer from West Hartford, CT
- Shondo: MMA Fighter from Houston, TX
- Ashley: A horse trainer from Murrieta, CA
- Jim: A student from Little Rock, AR
The Fates outline the Paladins' quest: Only the Sunspear will turn Verlox back, 12 pieces with one for each paladin. Crio, the Dreamer, finds the paladins and leads them through Marwood, a monster-filled forest. An ogre eats one of the NPCs (he was just the guy rowing the boat anyway). I was half-hoping one of the paladins would flip out and attack the ogre, but it was not to be.
Crio manages to make it to the castle and they're promptly apprehended. Crio is dragged away, leaving our paladins to argue over whether or not they should try to escape. They finally decide to wait to see what happens, and eventually the vizier arrives to reiterate the quest - 12 spear parts, 12 heroes, only one shall survive yadda-yadda. Thing is, our heroes actually do have all the pieces of the sunspear to begin with (they found it in Marwood). They retire to their quarters to prepare for the first challenge.
Our first level PCs are about to face a challenge. Sir Ansgar brings them to the training field. Teams of three people have to learn to fire a scorpion (a form of ballista) with two arrows at a time, firing at targets. They are ordered to hit 180 targets representing enemy soldiers, all while they are under enemy fire (mud-slinging launchers). The teams are divided into spotters, launchers, and reloaders.
- Blue (4 targets): Christian, Katie, Patrick
- Red (6 targets): Jasmine, Adria, Leticia
- Yellow (10 targets): Linda, Shondo, Jim
- White (13 targets): Bonnie, Ashley, Andrew
White team decides amongst them who showed the greatest leadership. They vote Bonnie. She gets the mark of leadership. But one of the blue team is out. That night, they are called to the Hall of Fates, where the bottom-ranked paladins compete against each other to determine who will be voted off. They are required to fire on three targets representing each of the losing paladins; the paladin's dummy with the least arrows in it gets voted upon. Christan has the least amount of arrows in his target, leaving Katie vs. Patrick. Katie leaves with just two votes and is banished.
Here is Katie's D&D 5th Edition randomly generated stats using Ed Friedlander's generator: http://www.pathguy.com/ddnext.htm. I'll stat up each paladin as they're voted off, leveling one up each episode.
Medium humanoid (human), lawful good
- Armor Class 11 (padded armor)
- Hit Points 10
- Speed 30 ft.
STR 8(-1) DEX 11(0) CON 10(0) INT 12(+1) WIS 14(+2) CHA 17(+3)
- Saving Throws Str -1, Con +2, Int +1, Wis +2, Cha +5
- Skills Animal Handling +2, Arcana +1, Athletics -1, Deception +3, History +1, Insight +2, Intimidation +3, Investigate +1, Medicine +2, Nature +1, Perception +2, Performance +3, Religion +1, Search +2, Sleight of Hand +2, Survival +2
- Senses passive Perception 12
- Languages Common
- Challenge 1 (200 XP)
- Longsword. Melee Weapon Attack: +1 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 4 (1d8-1) slashing damage.
- Shortbow. Ranged Weapon Attack: +0 to hit, range 80 ft./320 ft., one target. Hit: 3 (1d6) piercing damage.
- Divine Sense. Use an action to detect holy / unholy things within 50 feet.
- Lay on Hands. Pool of hit points equal to 5 x paladin level, to restore hp, cure disease or neutralize poison