Before the social media dreamland that is Pinterest, women only fantasized about the future weddings, homes, and kids they wanted in their heads. While there may have been some women who made actual scrapbooks filled with wedding ideas, the vast majority were too afraid for evidence of this fairytale to put anything down on paper.
But now that we have Pinterest, there is an endless world of possibilities (especially with the addition of Secret Boards!). It's almost like playing Barbies or paper dolls. You are building this fantasy world that will honestly only set you up for failure. Pinnning and re-pinning countless rings, wedding gowns, houses, etc. will definitely not guarantee that this is the type of ring, dress, house, etc. that you will actually get. It only gives women unrealistic expectations of what their wedding, relationship, and marriage will be like. And if you are pinning before you are even engaged (like most women are) you are honestly just putting the cart before the horse.
To say that women should stop pinning things they want is ridiculous and unrealistic. But what you should do is know and understand the difference between Pinterest boards and reality. Understand that your pins are nine times out of ten what you want and what you want may not be what your boyfriend or fiance can actually afford! And some women pinning away on their wedding boards aren't even in relationships yet so you really have no sense of perspective!
But there is nothing wrong with pinning away in your fantasy land. Who knows? Maybe the power of positive thinking will actually manifest your dreams and you'll get what you've pinned! And if you are already engaged and are planning a real wedding (not a dream wedding) it's definitely a useful way to organize your ideas. Another positive result of Wedding Boards is that it makes women who didn't think they wanted to get married think about what it could be like. Becoming "mushy" and/or "girly" could open many women up to the possibility of a happy ending. So, pin away, but just don't get too carried away!
Top Ten Ways Pinterest Sets Women Up For Failure:
- He can't afford that ring
- All that wedding pinning may make you think you're ready to get married before you actually are
- Your friends could steal your wedding ideas!
- You can't afford that dress
- You don't have time for all that DIY stuff! (Ain't nobody got time for that!)
- You're not engaged yet
- You're not even in a relationship yet
- Pinning what you want takes the groom (or groom-to-be) out of the planning process
- You won't have time to do all of those cute and creative poses (Ain't nobody got time for that!)
- You are not a seven year old girl dreaming about your wedding, this is not Disney