As much as I love playing and experimenting with colorful eye makeup, the workplace is not usually the right venue for testing out bright colors or glitter. If you are an eye makeup fan, however, there is a way to reach a happy medium between bright colors and bare lids. Here are my steps on creating the perfect everyday work-appropriate eye look.
- Start with a good eye shadow primer. I like Too Faced Shadow Insurance. It goes on smoothly without any creasing. I apply it all over the lid up to the brow bone.
- Brush on a neutral, light brown shadow. No shimmer or sparkle, but not necessarily matte, but just basic. I love Urban Decay's Ruthless (sadly discontinued!) but Buck or Tease would work just as well. I apply it to the lid and just into the crease.
- Apply a medium line of brown shimmery pencil liner along the top lash line. No fancy wings or anything, but just enough to add definition to the eyes. I like Urban Decay's 24/7 Glide On Eye Pencil in Bourbon.
- Line the inner lower lid line with a creamy nude eye liner. This tiny step just covers up any redness and perks up your look. Try Stila Kajal Eye Liner in Topaz.
- Add dark mascara to the top and bottom lashes. Lately I've been liking Cover Girl Lash Blast Fusion.
- Finally use your fingertip to brush on a shimmery highlighting powder to the brow bone. This will give you a subtle lift and make your look look finished. Tarte Amazonian Clay Shimmering Powder in Champagne is my absolute favorite.
And there you have it! A nice polished look that is anything but plain.