Considering the healthy appetites of weekend guest, entertaining is sure to be a success with this perfect pork roast. Pork loins can be a relatively expensive but are tender and delicious cuts. These cuts are also perfect to cook for a crowd of weekend guests. This large roast is a filling dish, yet takes little time to prepare. A four-pound boneless loin yields about eight servings.
A complete menu:
- Perfect Pork Roast
- Decadent mashed potatoes
- Steamed Brussels Sprouts
- Green Salad
Wine: A creamy Chardonnay with notes of apple, citrus and oak won’t overwhelm the mild herbal flavors in the pork roasts.
Ingredients needed to make the perfect pork roast:
- 2 cloves garlic, mince
- 2 tsp. marjoram leaves
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. rubbed sage
- 2 1/2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (4 lb.) boneless pork loin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine in a small bowl, minced garlic, salt, marjoram leaves, sage and olive oil.
- Rub the oil-spice mixture all over the pork roast. Place the pork roast in a shallow roasting pan.
- Roast pork uncovered for about 1 hour or until the thermometer reads 170 degrees. Let roast stand for about 7 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, brussels sprouts and a green salad.
Ingredients need to make decadent potatoes (yields about five servings):
- 2 lbs. yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 tsp. white pepper
- Garnish: dash of nutmeg
- Place turnip into a large pot and cover with salted cold water. Bring to a boil and cook until the turnips begin to get soft and tender. Add the potatoes and add more cold water if needed. Bring back to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Set aside.
- Drain the cooked potatoes and turnips. Return potatoes and turnips to the pot over a low heat. Add the melted butter and mash until the butter is will blended into the potato-turnip mixture.
- Add cream and cheese to the potato-turnip, mixing well. Add the salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Serve warm with a garnish of nutmeg.