Christina Torres, Press Relations Manager of the Orpheum Theatre in Memphis, announces the following.
"The Orpheum Theatre will help connect Memphis artists with local buyers during its 20th Annual Art Sale on Saturday, August 23 from 1:00 to 4:00 PM at the Orpheum. Sponsored by Versant Supply Chain, this year’s Art Sale will take place on the Orpheum stage where artists will be available to discuss their works one-on-one and sell their original artwork to attendees.
The Orpheum Art Sale continues its tradition of celebrating Memphis’ talented creative community. Each year local artists offer attendees a wide variety of styles and artistic genres, and this year’s event is expected to exceed last year’s numbers in both artist participation and buyer attendance. In addition to the art sale guests will enjoy a wine tasting, provided by Hidden Crush, and heavy hors d’oeuvres provided by Flight Restaurant & Wine Bar. Artists will have on-site booths where they will showcase their work and arrange pricing directly with buyers.
“Moving the festivities from the Grand Lobby to the historic Orpheum stage for the 20th annual event will provide artists with considerably more space to display and sell their works,” said Orpheum President and CEO Pat Halloran. “With this change, we are more effectively bringing artists and buyers together in a way that makes the experience of supporting local art more personal.”
75% of each sale goes to the artist while the remaining 25% is donated to the Orpheum’s new Centre for Performing Arts & Education. The $14.5 million Centre will offer advanced performing arts education programs to enhance the Orpheum’s position as a well respected, national venue and allow the theatre to increase the availability of time and space to meet its primary goal of serving the patrons of our community.
The Orpheum is currently taking reservations for artist booth space and welcomes artwork in the following categories: drawing, pastels, graphics, printmaking, oils, acrylics, photography, watercolor, and mixed media. The artist entry fee is $25 which includes two free tickets to the event and exhibition space that includes one table, two chairs, and a display grid. The artist or an artist-approved representative must be present for the full duration of the event.
Artist reservation deadline is Friday, August 8, 2014. Artists are responsible for transporting, setting up, and breaking down their art displays as well as pricing and selling their artwork. Artists are encouraged to provide a digital file of sample artwork to Lauren Steinkamp at email@example.com which will aid the Orpheum in promoting the artist and the event online and in print.
General admission to the 20th Annual Art Sale is $10 per person. Admission includes wine tasting and appetizers. Tickets are on sale now and available for purchase online at the official Orpheum Theatre website, www.orpheum-memphis.com, or through Lauren Steinkamp at firstname.lastname@example.org or 901-529-4224. Tickets may also be purchased at the door.
About The Orpheum Centre for Performing Arts & Education
Currently under construction, the Orpheum’s $14.5 million Centre for Performing Arts & Education will offer advanced performing arts education programs to enhance the Orpheum’s position as a respected national venue and allow the theatre to increase the availability of time and space to meet its primary goal of serving patrons of all ages from across the Mid-South. The Orpheum’s current education initiatives serve over 65,000 students, teachers, and families per year.
The Orpheum Art Sale will feature art from the area's top artists, wine tasting, and heavy hors d’oeuvres. Artists will receive 75% of their sales with the remaining 25% going to the Orpheum’s new Centre for Performing Arts & Education. This annual event is the Orpheum’s way of thanking the local artists for their support of the theatre while providing Mid-Southerners the opportunity to purchase great works of art."
The Orpheum Theatre is located at 203 S. Main Street, Memphis, Tennessee 38103. Date and times of the sale is Saturday, August 23, 2014 at 1:00-4:00 pm. Admission is $10 and tickets can be purchase at the above listed locations.